Baby Driver TV Commercial for Suburu  » Media  »
  • Now, I'm not sure what they actually call it, but that's how I think of it
  • More than that, they evoke emotions, and that's the best thing a commercial can do, as long as the feelings are positive ones, which mine are
  • I love it, and it's a way to sell cars without the usual beating over the head

• by Orrymain

After decades of watching commercials on TV, I’m tired of them. I tend to zone out, multi-task, or change the channel when a commercial comes on. Sometimes, though, an ad campaign does capture my interest. One of those is the Subaru Dad and Kids campaign. Now, I’m not sure what they actually call it, but that’s how I think of it. These are actually memorable to me. More than that, they evoke emotions, and that’s the best thing a commercial can do, as long as the feelings are

positive ones, which mine are.

In the latest ad which is referred to as the Baby Driver commercial, a father is talking to his daughter as she sits in the driver seat of the family car. He’s giving her instructions. When we see her, she’s a young 6 year old blonde, listening but then talking back. Dad finally hands her the keys and the girl fades into a teenager heading out for the first time on her own in the car.

Dad even tells her to call, but not while driving. This, along ...

• with other reminders, makes these spots safety ads, too. I love that. We need these reminders.

It’s this from Dad’s eyes that is so very awesome. The prior commercial from a year or so ago had a little girl asking her dad for the keys. It followed the same premise. We don’t see her as a young woman until she has the keys and is leaving. That one ends with a young boy looking for something. When Dad asks where he’s going, he is off to work.

Parents will

always see their children as their babies, no matter how old they become, and that is the poignancy and magic of this TV campaign. I love it, and it’s a way to sell cars without the usual beating over the head.

What is even extra terrific about this commercial is that this is a real dad and both of the daughters are his real life daughters. In fact, there was no script. He spoke to them like their father, from his heart. Now you just can’t beat that for a powerful commercial.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 393101283920531/k2311a103/10.3.10