The Defenders: Pilot TV Show  » TV  »
  • The first phrase that comes to my mind when I think about the pilot episode for The Defenders is 'smart move
  • As I said, that was a super smart move in my opinion

• by Orrymain

The first phrase that comes to my mind when I think about the pilot episode for The Defenders is ’smart move. When word first came out about this show, the word was that it was going to be a re-do of the popular lawyer series from the 60’s which starred E.G. Marshall and Robert Reed. Thankfully, they apparently let go of that thought and just went with a

new near comic version that has pretty much nothing to do with the original series beyond sharing the title. As I said, that was a super smart move in my opinion.

The comic beats, however, aren’t my style. When the show gets down to the courtroom, some of it isn’t bad, except that Jim Belushi’s dumb playing doesn’t appeal to me. It’s all for a point, like in ...

• the baseball angle he brings up, but I am not entertained.

Belushi portrays Nick Morelli, one half of the law partnership. He’s getting a divorce, but he’s extremely jealous of his wife. There’s something odd about having the lead character of a law show approach the attitude of a stalker, and Morelli does.

Jerry O’Connell, who has pretty much gone from series to series since making noise in Sliders, plays

the other half of the partnership, Pete Kaczmarek.

Then there is Jurnee Smollett who portrays Lisa Tyler. Fresh out of law school, she’s thrust into action by Pete without any information on the case or the client. I didn’t like that beginning which was actually very confusing.

The show wasn’t great, but there is some potential, and I did enjoy the Frank Sinatra Jr. cameo at the end which was interesting.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 103101283470431/k2311a103/10.3.10