Highway Patrol: Deadly Diamonds TV Show  » TV  »
  • Deadly Diamonds was an okay half hour, but the entertainment value wasn't as strong as some other outings simply because it's a stale plot

• by Orrymain

From December 1958, Highway Patrol: Deadly Diamonds was an okay half hour, but the entertainment value wasn’t as strong as some other outings simply because it’s a stale plot. We’ve seen jewelry thieves on the show before, and we’ve also seen three person teams.

Frankly, the set up for how the thefts took place was old hat. It’s been done more than once on this show, so there just wasn’t anything new.

This show

was part of Highway Patrol’s final season, and I can’t help but think that they were running out of new stories to do. That’s hard to imagine, but I seem to find myself thinking ‘old hat’ or ‘been there, done that’ a lot right now when watching these shows, and I am not comparing it to TV dramas that came later, but rather, to itself and its own history.

In the show, Roger Wilson,

• a traveling jewelry salesman who was about to retire, is found dead, leaving the highway patrol with a murder to solve. Right away we meet Henry LeFaubre (Pierce Lyden), the owner of the company Wilson works for. He ends up helping the patrol off and on during the show.

Outside of the idea of the jewelry theft that we’ve already seen, here’s the trio of villains. We have Pete, who is the

mastermind of the crime spurt, Jack, who loses restraint and is the one who murdered Wilson, and then the token female, Sally (Jackie Lee), who travels with Jack. Everything about them was a re-do of past characters.

Broderick Crawford does okay as Chief Dan Mathews, but I’ve decided his reputation for this show has been highly overrated. I much prefer one of the sidekicks, William Boyett who in season four is Sergeant Ken Williams.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 103101282980331/k2311a103/10.3.10