Spring Valley Iron Supplement  » Health  »
  • I thought I would never get to sleep that night
  • I believe that any kind of iron would do the same, at least for me
  • I recommend their iron products to anyone who needs iron but doesn’t want to pay too much for it

• by reviewabit

My doctor recommended that I take a multivitamin, and I chose a brand that I was familiar with, but it did not include iron in the formula. A search on some symptoms I had been having prompted me to look into iron supplementation, to see if it would help reduce them. I chose Spring Valley iron 65 mg. Because it was inexpensive and the right strength for what I needed.

The pharmacist assured me it was a good choice. A small bottle contained 100 tablets and was less than five dollars on sale. This would last me more than three months.

The tablets were rather

small and this is always a plus for me, because vitamin tablets can tend to be large and hard to swallow and it has often deterred me from taking them. I took the iron along with my regular vitamin, at bedtime as I was accustomed to doing. This was a mistake! I did not realize taking iron on an empty stomach was such a bad idea.

I wish the doctor or pharmacist had warned me. I suffered severe nausea for about three hours after taking it, and reflux as well. I thought I would never get to sleep that night!

I called ...

• my doctor in the morning, and he explained to me that this was very common with iron supplements and was no cause for alarm.

I was instructed to take it with meals instead of at night, so I changed my routine and took my regular multivitamin and the iron together at dinner. Although it was not as bad, I still had some nausea. I complained to a friend about the ordeal and she told me that some brands were “better than others” and did not make one as sick.

I tried another brand soon after but found that it did the same. Eventually,

I tweaked my routine so that I took the iron half-doses and spaced them out in the day. This was much more tolerable.

I don’t think that the intolerance I had for the product had anything to do with the brand or product itself. I believe that any kind of iron would do the same, at least for me. My health has improved since the addition of the Spring Valley Iron and I continue to use it because it works.

I recommend their iron products to anyone who needs iron but doesn’t want to pay too much for it. Just be sure you don’t take them on an empty stomach.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 342101282140931/k2311a102/10.2.10