Cortenema prescription steroid enema
  • This was insulting– however, it was easily solved

• by reviewabit

I had the great misfortune of developing an anal fissure due to inadequate fiber intake. Nothing will make you appreciate the value of fiber than this extremely painful condition. To treat it, I was given a prescription for Cortenema, a hydrocortisone based liquid enema that I had to administer every night for a couple of weeks.

I was warned that this process could be painful and difficult with all the inflammation that I had in the rectal area. I was advised to use a water-based lubricant to assist insertion, which helped immensely.

Although the tip of the Cortenema was already lubricated by the manufacturer, the amount used was

laughably not enough, especially for someone who was so sore! I would think they would know that patients having to use this product were more than likely in pain and would need more than that thin layer of lube. This was insulting– however, it was easily solved.

For this treatment, I was instructed to insert the entire enema (which was small, about 3 ounces or so) and to hold it in overnight. My first response to my doctor when he told me this was ‘Are you kidding me?” He wasn’t.

I had to manage to hold the enema in my body for an entire night.

• On my first night using the drug, I could not imagine how I was going to do this.

Seconds after I administered the medicine, my instincts were to run to the bathroom. Somehow I managed to curl myself into a ball, and wait for my body to get used to the idea that this stuff had to stay in for awhile.

I worried that I might have an accident in the night. It was difficult to fall asleep.

The next morning, surprisingly, I seem to have “absorbed” the liquid. What was even nicer, is that the pain of the fissure was less intense.

I have always

known steroid drugs to take a very fast effect, and this was no exception. I became used to the routine of using the enemas (and holding them).

Gradually over the course of two weeks, my fissure healed to the point that I no longer had obvious pain. Bravo to the little bottles of sheer joy– who I now see as friend and hero, not just an annoying necessity.

To anyone who has the misfortune of suffering a fissure or any other painful rectal or colon condition, don’t panic if your doctor recommends Cortenema. As alien and uncomfortable as they sound, they will quite possibly be your very best friends in time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2630091281350230/k2311a0930/9.30.10