Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles  » General services  »
N7146 E. Plaza Dr., Beaver Dam, WI 53916
  • But, once again, I wasn’t a fan of the idea of spending my birthday in line so I decided to take the afternoon before off and go that day instead
  • What really impressed me about the place though was how friendly everyone was
  • I think I have the same expectation everyone has of the DMV
  • Regardless of the reason, I loved the changes and enjoyed every moment of the experience

• by Review Vigilante

I recently celebrated my 35th birthday. And, as part of that, I realized my driver’s license was set to expire and I had to go to our local Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles to renew it. I received the renewal notice in late August. But, even though they gave me more than a month to do it, I kept putting it off until the last second because the thought of wasting an hour or two standing in line wasn’t something I was looking forward to.

However, I eventually ran out of time and had to do it or face getting a ticket later. I had originally planned on going right on my birthday because I planned on taking that day off anyway. But, once again, I wasn’t a fan of the idea of spending my birthday in line so I decided to take the afternoon before

off and go that day instead.

That way, if I wasted an hour or two of my life, I wasn’t doing it on my day off and was doing it while technically on the clock (thank God for paid personal time). As it turns out, my opinion of the Department of Motor Vehicles and what I could expect from it couldn’t have been further off than it was. Even after taking the afternoon off just to renew my license, I had to drag myself out to the DMV.

I procrastinated until almost 1:30 and, not knowing when they would close, finally got out the door and drove over there. When I did that, in no way did I suspect I would be home by 2. When I first walked into the DMV, I was actually confused.

There were no lines (despite several cars in the parking ...

• lot). Instead, there was a big arrow that pointed me to a desk. I walked over to it and the woman behind it looked at the paperwork I brought with me, corrected a couple things for me, gave me a number and asked me to have a seat.

I no sooner sat down and they were calling my number at the next counter. I walked over to that and the woman double checked everything, gave me my eye exam (which I passed with flying colors) and then sent me to get my photo taken and get my new license. That part took me the longest, 5 minutes.

I was out the door in about 10 minutes total. What really impressed me about the place though was how friendly everyone was. I think I have the same expectation everyone has of the DMV; a bunch of grumpy

government workers who just want to get through their day without incident or any real interaction.

That was not the case. Everyone I spoke to, from the first woman at the first counter to the one who printed my license, was very friendly. They didn’t just go about their job, they did it while talking to me and treating me as a person rather than a number.

I even had a couple of them wish me a happy birthday. Perhaps having a place as well organized as this particular DMV was helped reduce their stress too; making their days easier and allowing them to be less grumpy than the employees I remember. Regardless of the reason, I loved the changes and enjoyed every moment of the experience; well, at least as much as you can enjoy an experience like that.

It’s nice to see my tax dollars finally went someplace that did something right.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2530091281260230/k2311a0930/9.30.10