Buck Rogers TV Episode: Awakening  » TV  »
  • So, when I had an opportunity to watch it on DVD (via instant watch), I decided to at least take the time to watch the very first episode called Awakening

• by Review Vigilante

When I was younger, my family used to spend one evening a week watching the show Buck Rogers. It was a long time ago, however, and I didn’t remember a whole lot about it. So, when I had an opportunity to watch it on DVD (via instant watch), I decided to at least take the time to watch the very first episode called Awakening; just to get a feel for what I was forgetting.

I figured this show wouldn’t be as good

as I remembered it being back in either the late 1970s or early 1980s. But, I was wrong.

This show is better than I remember it. Or, at least this episode was.

For those of you not familiar with the series, Buck (played by Gil Gerard) is a 1980s astronaut who is frozen while on a space mission and is woken up in the 25th century. What I liked about this particular episode is it lays the groundwork for the entire series.

...

• You are introduced to the villain right away (they are actually the ones who wake him up) and are given a summary of what happened to him. He then returns to Earth and we learn, at least at a glance, about what happened there in the time he has been asleep.

And, at the end of the episode, he not only saves the day, he is asked to perform an on-going job for the new planet; something that sets up the rest

of the series. The special effects aren’t the greatest.

But, they are much better than what you would expect from a television show and I really don’t have any complaints about them. And, I loved the detail they put into each of the characters, giving most of them a back story, and the future society in general.

If you haven’t seen this show before or haven’t watched it in a while, it is worth taking the time to at least watch this first episode. You might be impressed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1030091281220230/k2311a0930/9.30.10