Doritos “3rd Degree Burn - Scorchin’ Habanero” Tortilla Chips  » Food  »
  • The spiciest of these, the 3rd degree burn, is a hot habanero pepper flavored chip, promising to be a much more deliciously painful experience than its two predecessors
  • The moment I opened the bag, I noticed how strong the hot, peppery smell of the chips was
  • For anyone seeking a cheap, tasty tortilla chip that packs quite a bit of spice, I would strongly recommend these Doritos 3rd Degree Burn chips

• by blunderkind

Doritos chips have come in a variety of flavors, from the mild Cooler Ranch to the somewhat sharper-tasting Spicy Nacho. In a recent campaign to extend its selection of spicy flavors, Doritos came out in three new choices, labeled based on their degree of hotness - “1st, 2nd, and 3rd” degree burns. The spiciest of these, the 3rd degree burn, is a hot habanero pepper flavored chip, promising to be a much more deliciously painful experience than its two predecessors.

This particular flavor was difficult to find, the 1st and 2nd degree variations being much more common. Eventually, I happened upon a bag in a local Bloom grocery store, and brought them home

to enjoy with some homemade Mexican food. The moment I opened the bag, I noticed how strong the hot, peppery smell of the chips was. It was so strong that a small sniff made my nose burn and my eyes water. The flavoring on the chips has a dry, hot smell to it that is unlike any other spicy flavor I have encountered.

The chips themselves are as greasy as any other Dorito and are generously covered with a thick, reddish powder. That powder quickly gets everywhere - all over fingertips, on plates or countertops, through napkins, and sprinkling itself on any piece of clothing in the vicinity. They ...

• are especially messy chips, even in comparison to other powder-flavored tortilla chips. I had to take the occasional break to wash my hands between chips, out of concern that I would stain something with the spicy red powder or accidentally get some in my eye.

The flavor, though, is terrific. I preferred the spicy habanero taste over the jalapeno and buffalo flavors the 1st and 2nd degree chips featured, respectively. While retaining the usual corn-tortilla flavor of chips, these Doritos are very peppery. The flavor comes off as a hot pepper at first, but quickly becomes spicier. The aftertaste is more of a burning sensation than an actual flavor,

which makes it perfect for anyone who is a fan of spicy food. Anyone who prefers milder snacks should stay away, though. They went well with a little bit of sour cream, and would be a nice compliment to a lettuce and tomato salad, since the spiciness is simply mellowed and not lost.

For anyone seeking a cheap, tasty tortilla chip that packs quite a bit of spice, I would strongly recommend these Doritos 3rd Degree Burn chips. The “Scorchin’ Habanero” flavor is wonderful. However, I would only suggest these to someone who has plenty of wet napkins readily available. Otherwise, be prepared for a mess of unbelievable proportions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2728091279190430/k2311a0928/9.28.10