Chia Fresh Daily Fiber supplement  » Health  »
1.5
  • I decided to have a tiny taste before I wasted a glass of juice on it, so I took jut a bit from the package on my finger to have a sample
  • Honestly, I can appreciate the all-in-one approach, but I think I probably got just as many antioxidants from the juice alone

• by reviewabit

While visiting a natural foods store in my town, I was offered a couple of samples. One was a fiber supplement made from ground chia seed. It is called Chia Fresh Daily Fiber and is made by Gaia Herbs. I am constantly told I need to consume more fiber in my diet and that it has incredible benefits, but I hate taking powdered supplements and I take enough tablets as it is.

I try to eat as much naturally high fiber foods as possible, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to give this product a try. It was new, free, and novel. I have to wonder how many times that poor guy handing out the samples got

to hear someone ask if they were going to sprout green grass on their heads like a Chiapet.

And God help me, I did the same… I just couldn’t resist. The cute little green packet felt like it contained a fine grass. It said it was great tasting.

They all say that, don’t they? How yummy could grass seed be? My hope was that perhaps it didn’t have much of a taste. The directions advised me to mix the entire packet into eight ounces of water or juice. I decided to have a tiny taste before I wasted a glass of juice on it, so I took jut a bit from the package on my ...

• finger to have a sample.

It looked sort of like cat litter, but finer. It did not have much of a taste, and what was there was quite hard to describe. Not unpleasant, but not something you would crave either.

In my mouth, it became slippery and clumped together and stuck in my teeth. Obviously it is best to follow the directions and put this product in water. Since I was not fond of the taste, and I am not much fonder of water, I decided I would try it in juice.

Orange juice effectively masked the flavor, but it did change the texture of the drink and I could feel the graininess as I drank it.

I would equate this with Metamucil (the original) or other fiber products that you mix in water. Actually, the newer products which mix “clear” are much easier to stomach.

The supposed benefit from using chia seed as opposed to psyllium or other fiber was its antioxidant value. Honestly, I can appreciate the all-in-one approach, but I think I probably got just as many antioxidants from the juice alone. Since I take other supplements that have high antioxidant content, I don’t really see any particular benefit for me to consume chia seed for fiber.

I can enjoy a bran muffin with my orange juice, save some money, and not have to swallow cat litter. I just wasn’t impressed.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3423091275641230/k2311a0923/9.23.10