Hamilton Beach Prepstar 70550R food processor
  • When my old food processor bit the dust, I decided to order one from a catalog I receive in the mail
  • I think a better designed blade might eliminate this problem, but in general I have had to do this on occasion with every food processor I have owned

• by reviewabit

When my old food processor bit the dust, I decided to order one from a catalog I receive in the mail. This model is the Hamilton Beach Prepstar 70550R. I’ve had good experiences with Hamilton Beach products before so I figured it would be a good brand. The last few food processors I have owned, to be honest, seemed a bit cheaply made– but to be fair, I did purchase the ones that were in the lower price ranges.

Although I do use my food processor quite a bit, I have never really needed the “fancy” features that some models offer. If it chops, grates, and blends, I’m good. My first use was a breeze.

The instruction manual was mostly pictures and easy to understand. This is a basic but good quality model.

All the removable parts are heavy plastic, with the exception of the grating/slicing disc which is metal.

It has the standard insertable plastic shield for in bowl processing, and the food pusher to use with the slicer or anything loaded from above. I put it to the test by making cole slaw, then grating some cheese. For the coleslaw I used the in bowl method and it worked just fine– chopping the slaw very finely.

I did find that with the in-bowl usage, I had to stop and rearrange the contents because they seemed to get “stuck” out of the range of the blades. I think a better designed blade might eliminate this problem, but in general I have had to do this on occasion with every food processor I have owned. I used both the pulse ...

• button and the “1″ and “2″ power settings to make sure they all worked.

They did… although I found the “2″ setting was not necessary for anything I was doing. It was way too strong for that. The cheese grating went very well, and it cleaned up without the usual mess I encounter when I use the grater.

For this I opened the chute up and let it grate right into an exterior bowl of my own. Happily, it seemed to handle this just fine, and there was no projectile cheese to clean off of the ceiling!

I did notice that the unit rocked back and forth a bit when I was using it. I am not sure if this was due to an uneven bottom, or if the motor was just a little too

powerful for its size.

As with all food processors, it will only work when locked into position, and as with all processors, it is a genuine pain to get it to do so, especially if you are in a hurry. But I managed and for the time it saved me in chopping all that food, I shouldn’t complain. Clean up was pretty easy, except for the cheese in the grater but that’s to be expected.

Storage is easy too. All the parts fit together to make one tidy piece. It’s a nice looking machine.

Really the only genuine complaint I have is that the machine is very loud. It has a piercing sound that makes me want to stuff cotton balls in my ears! It could be that this machine is the only one like that, but I thought

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5323091275451230/k2311a0923/9.23.10