Cross Tech 3: Fine Writing Instrument  » Other  »
2.0
  • I bought my Cross Tech 3 when I was in the need for a general writing instrument that was fine but not amazingly expensive
  • It worked well for three years, but unfortunately a couple flaws prohibited it from going any further
  • Not only is that nifty, but it's also extremely convenient
  • The barrel is quite dent resistant, which I found to be quite interesting
  • I'm impressed with the performance of the finish

• by Ricardo L

I bought my Cross Tech 3 when I was in the need for a general writing instrument that was fine but not amazingly expensive. I wanted another Cross, but I didn’t want to have to buy a Century duel set. While browsing Office Max I came across the Cross Tech 3. It boasted two pen tips, black and red, and a .5mm pencil. I thought it was pretty nifty. For $36 I couldn’t go wrong. It worked well for three years, but unfortunately a couple flaws prohibited it from going any further.

The design is pretty simple- when you turn the barrel, it turns a shaft inside that raises/lowers the individual tips. The one that’s highest is high enough to come out the hole on the end of the barrel, thus you have a 3 tip pen. Simple as it may be, it is genius. If I need a black pen at the moment, I have it. If I need to switch to red, I don’t have to switch the pen. All I

do is turn the barrel and I now have a red pen. If I need a pencil, I just turn it again and I have a .5mm pencil. It’s 3 pens in one. Not only is that nifty, but it’s also extremely convenient.

The quality and durability of the pen is quite good, but it wore a bit over time. Every part of the pen is metal, not plastic. The mechanics are yet to fail on me after four years of continuous work. The barrel is quite dent resistant, which I found to be quite interesting. I was able to have it land on a rock from three stories without a single dent on it. If that’s not durability in a pen I don’t know what is.

However, I had a couple issues after about three years. When you twist the barrel, it grabs little ridges on the shaft that creates the friction required to spin it. The problem is that over time, these ridges wore down to almost nothing. I now ...

• have to take the barrel off and twist the shaft directly. This part still works perfectly, but I wish I was able to use the pen as intended after only three years. What’s worse is that whenever I put a little downward pressure to write, the barrel slides off the shaft. It gets very annoying, especially since this is a Cross product that I paid $36 for. The eraser design was the other flaw I found. The eraser is pretty small and quick to use up. Refills aren’t expensive, but it’s nearly impossible to get the metal housing out of the pen to replace it. Why sell replacements if you can’t get the original out? Again, a bit of a disappointment from Cross.

The ink cartridges the pen uses are a bit small, but they seem to last a long time. The line is nice and fine for small writing. It marks reletivaly consistently. The great part is that they are very inexpensive- $1.99 for two. It goes to make the Tech

3 a pretty inexpensive pen to use (compared to other Cross products). You can get the ink in red, blue, and black, and in fine or medium, so you do have a choice of red or blue to go with the black and what thickness you want the line to be.

The full chrome finish on the pen proved to be durable. It’s been to hell and back and it hasn’t scratched much at all. There are no areas where the chrome was worn through. It kept its shine very well. I’m impressed with the performance of the finish.

Despite a very durable barrel and excellent quality mechanics, this pen was a bit of a disappointment. I expected a more longevity out of a Cross product. With the ridges worn on the shaft it is nearly impossible to write with it, and I only had it for three years. It is good for a light duty pen, but nothing above that. Certainly not worth the price. I wouldn’t buy another Tech 3.

Ernie Tamminga says :

For me, the part that failed after six months or so was the pencil. When I put a refill-lead into the lead-tube, the lead refuses to advance through the tip when I press down on the barrel. (I AM using the proper .5mm Cross replacement lead.)
    The pencil worked fine until the original lead was used up, but then I had to give up using the pencil. It s still a good red black ballpoint pen, though, and the process of inserting a ballpoint refill works fine.
    This is the second Tech3 I ve owned I gave up on the first one when the pencil failed, and now it s happened on this one, too. I won t buy a third one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1221091273250430/k2311a0921/9.21.10