Ponstan SF 500mg Tablet  » Medicine  »
  • After that I thought never to do that again
  • What I like about Ponstan is that it is cheap (only $0.25 per tablet) and is easy to purchase because it is almost always available in drugstores
  • Since this is a medicine, I suggest talking to your doctor first before buying any OTC medication product just to be safe

• by mod

Every month when I have my period, I suffer from Dysmenorrhea. Dysmenorrhea is characterized by severe pain in the lower abdomen, often radiating to my lower back and even thighs. I also have loose bowel movement when it occurs. Every month I would often suffer for days because it lasts for around 2-3 days once my period starts. I would not be able to work or do anything else because the pain is just that terrible.

I was so tired of being bedridden and being in pain that my doctor told me to just take Ponstan SF tablet. A single tablet of Ponstan SF contains Mefenamic acid and it comes in different milligrams per tablet. I was prescribed to take a 500mg tablet to be taken 3x a day immediately after meals. Mefenamic Acid is used to relieve headache, muscular, dental, body pain, traumatic pain, post-operative, postpartum pain

and dysmenorrhea. This is contraindicated in people who suffered from stroke, or people with liver, kidney problems and those who have gastrointestinal bleeding and ulcerations. This tablet is to be taken with meals for a reason. This has a very strong effect in the stomach and irritates the stomach walls if there is no food taken.

I have had several instances when I ingested Ponstan without eating anything. In a matter of 30-45 minutes my stomach would have sharp pains and my acids seem to be working twice as normal. After that I thought never to do that again. I would always have something to eat (even if I did not have the appetite). I would eat maybe a piece of bread or some crackers, or if I can I would eat a heavy meal before taking this medication. I have hyperacidity and I am scared that ...

• this may cause more problems for me in the future. I have seen people who suffered from gastrointestinal bleeding because of Ponstan abuse.

Anyway going back to my pain, when I take this Ponstan SF, one tablet can relieve my period pain in about 30-45 minutes of ingestion. From a pain scale of 8/10, it would go down to 3/10. It is highly effective and sometimes I even forget that I have my period pain. This is to be taken three times daily, and I usually skip the three times when I feel better after my second dose for the day. I am able to work and function during the days when I have my period. I no longer have to suffer and stay at home in my bed because of my painful period.

What I like about Ponstan is that it is cheap (only $0.25 per

tablet) and is easy to purchase because it is almost always available in drugstores. A 500mg tablet usually works for me. There are other dosages available for Ponstan SF (250mg for capsules) but 500mg only for tablets. For the other pain that I have (muscle pains, joint pains after work), I also take this and it really works well.

Ponstan SF 500 mg tablet is a good pain reliever and works when Ibuprofen cannot relieve it. For me this is better because general pain can be relieved using this. However I could not help but stress the importance of taking it with meals because as I have experienced, this is a gastric irritant and I have had instances when I suffered hyperacidity and stomach pain from taking this medication. Since this is a medicine, I suggest talking to your doctor first before buying any OTC medication product just to be safe.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2621091272540230/k2311a0921/9.21.10