Haw Par Villa, Theme Park  » Travel  »
Pasir Panjang Road, Singapore
  • A lot of the singaporean residents says it is a rundown park and it will be under renovation soon but I think a lot of the major statues were still intact
  • It is a free place to roam around but I'll definitely not recommend it to very young kids
  • Chinese culture is an unfamiliar subject for me and this one is a learning experience

• by jc traveller

My husband knows my greatest fear and that is seeing a statue be it human-size or huge up close and personal. He wanted me to overcome this fear and what better or shall I say, scarier way than to bring me to Haw Par Villa. This park really freaked the hell out of me. The place showcased over a thousand statues in all sizes and a lot of them depicted very gruesome images.

The ten stages of

hell was something I wouldn’t want to visit or see for the next thousand of years. It’s literally bloody scary. Not to mention there were odd statues placed all over the park like a crab with a woman’s face, a half snail half human. Of course my hubby’s favorite is that of a woman breastfeeding an old man with a little boy on the background cheering them on.

But other than those odd and scary stuff, hubby ...

• took a lot of nice pictures of me with the other safer or tamed looking statues.

He took a picture of me with buddha and his kids, the car with a roaring tiger’s face, a lot of close-up shots with the pagoda looking temples. There were a lot of tiger statues that we’ve found and also monkey statues. The big buddha statues really scared me so he only took a few far shots of it.

The sumo

wrestler statues were also nice as well as the mermaids, and a few women statues.

A lot of the singaporean residents says it is a rundown park and it will be under renovation soon but I think a lot of the major statues were still intact. It is a free place to roam around but I’ll definitely not recommend it to very young kids. Chinese culture is an unfamiliar subject for me and this one is a learning experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3819091269891230/k2311a0919/9.19.10