Palm Pre  » Phones  »
  • I love having a camera readily available because you just never know when you'll wish you had one on hand to take a picture
  • I've taken some amazing photos with this little phone
  • The only issue I really have with the phone is that because it is a touch screen, it can sense your body heat and will often think that you have touched the screen
  • I think that would be resolved if I used the pouch that comes with it, but I hate having to take it out of the pouch to use it
  • And, because I know keyboards in general, I know where the letters are, so I am building up speed as I go

• by chatombreux

My daughter and I are on a family plan with Sprint. The benefit for me is that the individual line is cheaper than having my own account and whenever my daughter upgrades, I benefit from the phone she’s no longer using. In other words, I get an upgrade even when I’m not eligible for one!

The most recent upgrade I received is the Palm Pre that she used to have. It is considered a smart phone in that it can receive Internet, email, loads of applications, be used as an external hard drive for storage, music, photos with the built in camera and flash…..basically, a small computer that fits in my purse or pocket.

Right after I got it from her, I began having problems in that my screen was no longer communicating with the body of the phone properly. I could answer calls, but I couldn’t make calls, read texts, send texts or do anything that I should have been able to do. So, we went to the Sprint

store.

It turned out that not only was there an unknown defect in the phone, but it turns out the battery had been recalled, so I got a brand new replacement and battery that works great. I really like this phone.

I love having a camera readily available because you just never know when you’ll wish you had one on hand to take a picture. And, with the flash feature, you’ll be sure to get even an indoor shot. It also has a video option, so I have been able to get a couple really cute videos of our kitten in action (or asleep, as in one). My daughter had earlier done a video of her cat playing with her and another one of a tour of our old apartment when we moved to this house. It’s a great feature. Even though it’s a 3.1 megapixel camera, the photo quality is much better than you’d expect. I’ve taken some amazing photos with this little phone.

The only issue I really have ...

• with the phone is that because it is a touch screen, it can sense your body heat and will often think that you have touched the screen. It will then act on whatever command it thinks you’ve requested. I think that would be resolved if I used the pouch that comes with it, but I hate having to take it out of the pouch to use it. So, it’s mostly on me that this issue exists, I guess you could say.

I know that the Pre is not as popular as it once was because of the introduction of newer 3G and 4G models, such as the HTC EVO (which my daughter replaced this with), but I’m telling you that if you have a chance to own this, you won’t go wrong. I didn’t think I’d like the qwerty keyboard because I was so used to using the 10-key for texting, but this keyboard is larger than the one on my old phone, so it is much easier to use.

And, because I know keyboards in general, I know where the letters are, so I am building up speed as I go.

Here are the phone’s specs so you have a bit more detailed information before deciding:

Operating system will be the Palm WebOS

The 3.1-inch touchscreen will feature a 320×480 resolution HVGA display.

The top part of the unit slides up to reveal a physical QWERTY keyboard.

Microsoft Outlook email with Microsoft Direct Push Technology, and POP3/IMAP (Yahoo, Gmail, AOL and others).

Messaging options: integrated IM, SMS and MMS.

Built-in GPS

3-megapixel camera with LED flash and extended depth of field.

Supported audio formats include MP3, AAC, AAC+, AMR, QCELP, and WAV.

Supported video formats include: MPEG-4, H.263, and H.264.

Supported image formats include: GIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP

Wireless connectivity: WiFi 802.11 b/g with WPA, WPA2, 802.1X authentication. Bluetooth 2/1 + EDR with A2DP stereo Bluetooth support

Memory: 8GB of user storage (approximately 7.4 GB user available), and USB mass storage support

MicroUSB connector with USB 2.0 Hi-Speed

3.5mm stereo headphone jack

Compatible with the Palm Touchstone charging dock

Weight: 135 grams (4.76 ounces)

Palm Pre

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3717091269451230/k2311a0917/9.17.10