Blood Diamond: the movie  » Movies  »
  • As the story unfolded, I found myself glued to the screen, wondering how it would turn out
  • It was only when I learned of his tragic past that I began to warm up to him
  • Despite feeling intense helplessness about the situation in Africa, I enjoyed this movie

• by opalina143

Blood Diamond is a powerful movie that was nominated for an Academy award. The story takes place in Africa. Leonardo DiCaprio stars as a diamond smuggler who trades with rebel forces during the country’s bloody civil war. He gives the fighters weapons in exchange for diamonds which he sells on the black market. The diamonds are dubbed “blood diamonds” because they come from a combat zone. War prisoners, who are virtual slaves, mine the diamonds while rebels with guns look on, shooting anyone they suspect of stealing. The guns and money generated from selling the diamonds is given to the violent

rebels, who routinely attack villages, slaughtering civilians and kidnapping children, who are drafted as child soldiers after being brainwashed.

While DiCaprio is languishing in jail, awaiting his powerful friends to bail him out, a prisoner is brought in who is a refugee from the diamond camp. His village has been attacked, his family chased away, and his son forced into the rebel army as a child soldier. Solomon is on a quest to get his family back at all costs. He had hidden a huge diamond with which he hopes to finance a one-way trip out of Africa. When Leonardo DiCaprio hears about ...

• this diamond, he becomes determined to possess it. Along with a woman reporter, who is there for her own reasons — hoping to expose the powerful men who purchased these blood diamonds, they accompany Solomon on his journey. DiCaprio promises the reporter a story if she will aid him in his quest to find the diamond. The two white people are using each other, and Solomon is trapped in the middle.

The movie is very powerful. It has scenes of great violence, so it is not appropriate for children or for sensitive people who are disturbed by realistic violence. It was very hard

to watch at times. However, the performances were incredible. All the actors and actresses were top notch and give riveting performances. As the story unfolded, I found myself glued to the screen, wondering how it would turn out. I deeply cared about the characters and wanted things to go well for them; although at first I despised Leonardo DiCaprio’s character. It was only when I learned of his tragic past that I began to warm up to him. Despite feeling intense helplessness about the situation in Africa, I enjoyed this movie. I can see why it was an Oscar contender.

Andrew Leither says :

I watched this movie “Blood Diamond.” It certainly kept me excited and glued to the screen. It’s exciting and throws exciting moments when you least expect it.

Katherine says :

This one is in top 10 favorite movies. It took me to see a reality we don’t see or refuse to see. It has a political tone so corrupt I was amazed during the entire time. I enjoyed the characters, the setting and to see reality of African communities and civil war. It was very raw for me and emotional because I cried my eyes out with the stories. It a hard movie but a movie I needed to see

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115091268380330/k2311a0915/9.15.10