Ramapo Mountain Reservation  » Leisure  »
Mahwah, New Jersey 07430
  • The Ramapo Mountain Reservation in Mahwah, NJ is an amazing park for hiking, walking and just being outdoors
  • The main reason I like to go in the evening is because of the snakes
  • I suggest starting with the small trails as it can take a lot out of you if you are an inexperienced hiker
  • I recommend this park to the moderate hiker as well as families who just enjoy a walk in a pleasant outdoor nature preserve

• by Slappy

The Ramapo Mountain Reservation in Mahwah, NJ is an amazing park for hiking, walking and just being outdoors. They have mapped trails there that vary from easy to hard and can go hours or less depending on how long you want to go.

My husband and I started going there when we got a Golden Retriever puppy and have been going for over the past year. All three of us love it there. We like to take the main trail (finished trail) up the mountain to the top

lake. It the one of Bergen County’s reservoirs and is great for the dogs to go swimming in. When she was a puppy, we would just take her for a walk around the lower lake until she was big enough to walk to the top with us. The trail by no means ends at the top lake, but that’s as far as we’ve gone.

I like to go in the evening; either right after dinner or right after work when the sun is still out but it’s not crazy hot.

• Even on the very hot days, though, it is greatly shaded with all the big tress around. The main reason I like to go in the evening is because of the snakes. I have never seen a snake in the evening hours but have in the daytime. I went once on a Sunday afternoon and the snakes were out in full force sun bathing. I am petrified of snakes so the chances of seeing me there again before the evening are slim.

Other than the snake aspect, we

really enjoy going there. I suggest starting with the small trails as it can take a lot out of you if you are an inexperienced hiker. If you don’t get used to the initial area first, there’s a chance you can get lost as well.

I recommend this park to the moderate hiker as well as families who just enjoy a walk in a pleasant outdoor nature preserve. We also enjoy going in groups with others who have dogs as well. Our pups really enjoy the place, too!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 6115091267910330/k2311a0915/9.15.10