Barnes & Noble - Nook
2.0
Barnes & Noble
  • The nook is a decent option, but I am not sure if it is the best available option
  • The disadvantage to the 3G service is, you can ONLY access Barnes & Nobles book store
  • I would have to disagree, I found the touch screen to be a bit aggravating
  • It does not work well when accessing B&N's website, I found that it would be easier having one screen instead of two
  • For 150 - 200 + tax, I think it would be better to buy a kindle

• by Sasan

There are many options available to consumers for electronically reading books. The nook is a decent option, but I am not sure if it is the best available option.

Purchasing the nook or any ebook reader involves a great amount of research. After consulting B&N.com then consulting the clerk at the store I decided the best thing to do is play with the device. So you know the clerk at the store does not know more information than the site. She stated exactly the same information that the website provided. I would have to say one of the big selling points for the nook is the removable battery and expandable memory.

After looking at the kindle as well as the iPad, neither device offers the option to swap out the battery. The base memory on the nook is 2gb and it uses electronic ink. Regarding the actual battery time with wifi and 3g on, I would estimate it at 1 - 2 days of continuous use (The website does not state that). This of course is based on how long the color lcd is in use as well if you are using the web or not.

The 3G service is pretty good, I have tested it in different spots and found that even in areas I do not have cell phone coverage ...

• I still have 3G coverage for the nook. The disadvantage to the 3G service is, you can ONLY access Barnes & Nobles book store. I was told that there is access to other booksellers, apparently, this option is only available in front of your PC/Mac. It is nice that the nook and kindle both allow the user to transfer PDFs to the device.

The touch screen is nothing to be excited about, according to many sites, the touch screen is the selling point. I would have to disagree, I found the touch screen to be a bit aggravating. It does not work well when accessing B&N’s website, I found that it

would be easier having one screen instead of two. It seems that the nook is trying to stand apart from the kindle, but it is doing a poor job.

The gist: Nook Pros - Removable Battery, Expandable Memory, Great 3G coverage Cons - Bad interface, Horrible battery life, Limited access to other booksellers from the device, bad customer service at the store, website provides limited information, slow refresh time for eInc.

For 150 - 200 + tax, I think it would be better to buy a kindle. I should be receiving a kindle soon and will write a review on it as well. The kindle is cheaper but there is a wait time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1615091267590230/k2311a0915/9.15.10