Seagate Freeagent 1.5TB Externa Hard Drive
2.0
  • It was by far the cheapest hard drive I found for the size
  • Figuring I was getting a really good deal, I decided to buy it
  • I had a problem putting longer movies on it- I would often get an error message
  • You can take it with you with your laptop without an issue

• by Ricardo L

I needed a large, but inexpensive external hard drive to store my vast collection of music, movies, and pictures. While browsing around Best Buy, I came across this Seagate 1.5TB external drive for only $89.99. 1.5TB was far enough for what I needed, since it was enough space to hold my collection of over 500 movies, 62,000 songs, and over 3,000 pictures that I took professionallym, with a lot of space for expansion. It was by far the cheapest hard drive I found for the size. Figuring I was getting a really good deal, I decided to buy it. Turns out that sometimes, you get what you pay for.

Upon loading

my videos and music to my newly acquired hard drive, I found that things took a little while to copy. I didn’t think much of it and continued doing what I was doing. I had a problem putting longer movies on it- I would often get an error message. I restarted the upload each time, which worked. It was just a little annoying. After everything was put on, I quickly backed everything up, just in case. Good thing I did.

Within a month, the hard drive started to make the fatal clicking sound that means it’s about ready to be ruined. At the beginning it did it seldomly, probably once a ...

• week, but not before long it started clicking daily and even hourly sometimes. A brand new hard drive, clicking. I took it back to Best Buy and they replaced it for no charge. I had to reload everything back on the new one. It’s yet to start clicking again, but I won’t be surprised if it does. It was a very inconvenient situation.

The size of the hard drive is no issue. It’s about the size of a walkman (yea, remember those?), making it quite compact. Now, I don’t know if the manufacturer sacrificed quality for size (so far it seems likely), but I can’t complain about it being so compact, lightweight,

and very portable. You can take it with you with your laptop without an issue. For it’s large space of 1.5TB, it is one of the most portable drives I’ve come across.

Buy this hard drive at your own risk. It’s simple to use, quick to set up, and it works, but it doesn’t seem to be of much quality. I’d certainly back everything up that I plan on putting on it. It’s not something I would trust my movie collection, my rare music collection, and my photography hobby with. If you’re looking for a high quality, large hard drive, don’t buy the cheap one. You really get what you pay for.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1915091267580230/k2311a0915/9.15.10