The Virginian: Ah Sing vs. Wyoming TV Show  » TV  »
  • It's an interesting thing about The Virginian
  • However, what I found odd about this tidbit of information was that as I watched this episode for what was truly the first time ever, I thought to myself, This is his episode
  • I have to say that this was a good episode to go out on, one where he was very strong and even I somewhat enjoyed him for really the first time
  • The story is solid, and it's one of the best of the season in my view

• by Orrymain

It’s an interesting thing about The Virginian: Ah Sing vs. Wyoming, which was the 7th episode to air in season six. I had wondered if there had been any real context behind the story, a case of reality by taking a real situation and sticking it into an established set of characters. It’s been done before on TV westerns, but when I started to do some research on that, I discovered something else.

This show

from October 1967 was the last episode to include Charles Bickford as Shiloh ranch owner, John Grainger. I really never liked Bickford in this role. It didn’t work for me. However, what I found odd about this tidbit of information was that as I watched this episode for what was truly the first time ever, I thought to myself, “This is his episode. I almost like him here.”

As fate had it, Bickford ...

• apparently died suddenly a couple of weeks after this show aired. I have to say that this was a good episode to go out on, one where he was very strong and even I somewhat enjoyed him for really the first time.

The episode was about a Chinese man who had been cooking for the Shiloh folks, but who had quit to open a restaurant in Medicine Bow. All of a sudden, though, he needs

a business license, something no one else had needed for any business. The long and short of it was discrimination.

The acting is superb. The very talented Edmond O’Brien is just incredible, while Lloyd Bochner was very strong as he normally was. Actor Aki Aleong excelled as the title character who only wanted a chance to make his place in America.

The story is solid, and it’s one of the best of the season in my view.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1015091266341230/k2311a0915/9.15.10