Mr. Imperium movie  » Movies  »
1.0
  • Imperium from 1951 was not a movie that I enjoyed overall
  • I just didn't like much of it, including the ending, which I found to be depressing
  • Those who have read many of my movie and TV reviews will know that I prefer happy endings and that melancholy conclusions disgust me
  • I think they did their best, but most of it was barely tolerable, and that includes star Lana Turner who portrayed Fredda Barlo
  • I'm sorry for his fans, but I thought he was just horrid

• by Orrymain

Mr. Imperium from 1951 was not a movie that I enjoyed overall. I just didn’t like much of it, including the ending, which I found to be depressing. Those who have read many of my movie and TV reviews will know that I prefer happy endings and that melancholy conclusions disgust me. Well, let’s just say that this doesn’t have what I call a happy ending, so it didn’t leave me with a good taste.

The movie

did have a nice montage of the central romance showing, showing the leading characters out and about. That I liked.

However, it is incredible how poorly acted much of Mr. Imperium was. I think they did their best, but most of it was barely tolerable, and that includes star Lana Turner who portrayed Fredda Barlo.

Turner actually sang a couple of numbers in this film. In truth, though, her singing was dubbed but it’s one of the few ...

• times to me that the voice somehow really matched the person I was looking at. I’ve seen some very nasty matches where the vocal did not match the speech, and that is so ultra annoying. I actually thought that Lana did a good job of lip singing, too, which is far harder than most people realize.

Turner’s romantic co-star was Ezio Pinza, and boy, was he bad. I’m sorry for his fans, but I thought he was

just horrid. Not only that, but he and Tuner had no on screen magic.

I did enjoy watching Marjorie Main, but more than her, I loved seeing a very young and still brunette Debbie Reynolds. Her youthful Gwen was only in a small part of the movie, but she really livened things up for a bit.

Barry Sullivan made me yawn, and the normally delightful Cedric Hardwicke made me want to run and hide from his performance.

This movie is a no go.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115091266321230/k2311a0915/9.15.10