Open the Door Richard movie short  » Movies  »
0.5
  • The title comes, I think, from this character pounding away on the set and shouting in a pleading style, open the door, Richard

• by Orrymain

I have no idea how to even describe this 1945 movie short called Open the Door Richard. It’s a strange production that I just don’t understand. It features Dusty Fletcher and the infamous Richard, if only in spirit.

I just don’t know what to say, or should I say type. Fletcher is a performer, I think. Now I’m not sure if he’s really supposed to be drunk or if

it’s part of the routine. The DVD print of this movie short has problems that don’t making viewing or listening all that easy.

Regardless, Fletcher’s character is performing on stage. The audience appears to be enjoying the entire routine, which is why I’m not sure if the character has truly over imbibed or not.

The majority of the short has Fletcher on stage, doing what I don’t know. He crawls around ...

• some and he climbs up a ladder. Now what is strange about this bit is that the ladder isn’t open all the way. It’s about halfway, and that’s rather dangerous.

The title comes, I think, from this character pounding away on the set and shouting in a pleading style, “open the door, Richard!”

It’s enjoyable to an extent, but between the actor’s slurred speech and the relatively poor print, it’s hard to

make out all the lines, which is why this is so dang confusing.

As I watched it, I didn’t know whether to laugh, be shocked, or just stare at the maybe drunk character. Certainly, this was a sign of another era. This movie short just wouldn’t be made today with such portrayals.

As I said, parts of it were enjoyable, but I’m not sure whether I’m supposed to like it or not.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115091266271230/k2311a0915/9.15.10