Murder with Music movie  » Movies  »
2.0
  • I thought it was great and it really got my attention
  • Unfortunately, most of Murder with Music is pretty forgettable
  • I just didn't care about the characters, and I think the writing was largely responsible for that
  • Frankly, it's forgettable, and that's what I recommend -- that you forget about it and watch something else instead

• by Orrymain

From 1941, Murder with Music was all black film about a woman with a lot of suitors. The whole hype about the movie is that someone gets killed, but that murder actually happens so late that I’m not sure I even cared.

Early on, and this is what I must recall from watching this movie recently, is

that there is a funny line which is, “you’ve got one of those television sets.” Remember, this was 1941, so that was definitely an early TV set. I thought it was great and it really got my attention.

This mystery musical did have some decent music to it, but nothing that stood out all that much to me.

The woman at the center of the attention was Lola, played by Nellie Hill. Then there was Ruth Cobbs as Mary Smith, who had a big hand in the direction of the tale.

Also appearing were Bob Howard, Milton Williams, George Oliver, Bill Dillard, and Marjorie Oliver.

Unfortunately, most of Murder with Music is pretty forgettable.

• Murder with Music movie
      The Lola character is made out to be some royal diva, but it all felt like overkill to me.

The acting was average without an outstanding performance in the bunch.

With the murder coming at the end, the movie doesn’t really have a focus or reason to keep watching; at least, it didn’t for me. I just didn’t

care about the characters, and I think the writing was largely responsible for that. It was sub-par.

While Murder with Music isn’t the worst of the many vintage movies that I’ve seen recently, it does rank in the bottom. Frankly, it’s forgettable, and that’s what I recommend — that you forget about it and watch something else instead.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115091266041230/k2311a0915/9.15.10