Black Tights movie  » Movies  »
2.5
  • This informational interruption of the ballet is actually very non intrusive in my opinion
  • I know a few moves and I have watched pieces of it from time to time
  • In college, my then best friend was highly into the art of ballet, and I learned a lot about it from her

• by Orrymain

If you love ballet, you will the motion picture from 1960 known as Black Tights. What this movie is in reality is a collection of mini-ballets put together to form a picture. The event is hosted by the wonderful Maurice Chevalier. Actually, Chevalier is also heard narrating the movie from time to time.

Perhaps narration is not the correct verbiage. It is more like he provided some exposition to help the viewers understand

what is happening at a given moment. This informational interruption of the ballet is actually very non intrusive in my opinion. It is not constant, but at times, what Chevalier offers up is very helpful to enjoying the performance.

That said, I am not a fan of ballet. I know a few moves and I have watched pieces of it from time to time. In college, my then best friend was highly into ...

• the art of ballet, and I learned a lot about it from her. As a friend, I wanted to know more about something that was so very important to her.

Other than that, ballet tends to bore me. The pace is far too slow for me, and much like opera, I rarely have a clue what is happening. That is why Chevalier’s contribution was so appreciated by myself. My impressions would have been

far worse without his interjections.

The ballets are performed chiefly by Roland Petit’s Les Ballets de Champs Elysees. Petit himself plays the legendary Cyrano, among other roles. I was more excited to watch Cyd Charisse at one point. I love watching her; she is very graceful. Also of note was Moira Shearer who played Cyrano’s beloved Roxane.

So, love ballet, love this, or if you are me, you might still get a kick from Chevalier and Charisse.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115091266001230/k2311a0915/9.15.10