Round-Up Time in Texas movie
  • There's a ton of music in this, and I actually enjoyed just about all of it

• by Orrymain

After watching a bunch of old westerns with Tex Ritter, it’s actually quite a change to now watching a few with Gene Autry in them. They are both singing cowboys, but they are very different, too. This movie is called Round-Up Time in Texas from 1937.

First of all, there was a very nice ensemble song to open the movie. It was like a choir coming through in sections,

each new view bringing in different voices. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

My attention, though, perked with Gene’s sidekick, Frog (Smiley Burnette), did a magic trick that mentioned my hometown. That really woke me up, so to speak.

After that, Gene received a letter from his brother, Tex. Now that was an original name, not, especially considering that Tex Ritter had come onto the scene the year before.

• Regardless, Tex Autry was played by Ken Cooper.

What really made me chuckle though was to think about the name of this film. It is actually an odd name for a movie that takes place mostly in Dunbar, South Africa.

The action is there, but it is mainly over a diamond mine that Tex has discovered. Horses are involved, but cattle are relegated to ‘also ran’ in Texas.

There’s a ton of

music in this, and I actually enjoyed just about all of it. Not all were as superb as the opening number was to me, but I was swinging to the chorus most of the time.

For the most part, the movie was entertaining, and I enjoyed it. It was a change of pace over the normal cowboy adventure, and Autry does know how to sing a song the cowboy way.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115091265991230/k2311a0915/9.15.10