Arizona Days movie  » Movies  »
  • I enjoyed watching Horace Murphy play Sheriff Brown

• by Orrymain

Arizona Days, one of the many western motion pictures released way back in 1937, was just Tex Ritter’s 3rd movie. As one of the new singing cowboys, the big thing to note here is that his trusted horse, White Flash, wasn’t credited yet. That would change soon, but it stands out now.

In the case of Arizona Days, Tex travels with his sidekick of the movie, Claude ‘Grass’ Hopper, who is played by Syd Saylor.

This is a first: he plays the trombone. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that as part of an old western like this. Saylor had some real good moments, like the ending when he has the ‘just married’ sign around his neck.

Tex plays a character named Tex, as he normally does, though unlike Gene Autry who tends to play characters named Gene Autry, Ritter’s Tex usually has a different last name. In ...

• this case, it’s Malinson. He and Grass end up hitching themselves to a traveling show and ultimately become tax collectors in order to save the day.

I enjoyed watching Horace Murphy play Sheriff Brown. Now I have to admit that the reason I focused on him is that I had just seen him play Tex’ sidekick in a later western and really liked what he brought to the table as a sidekick. Watching him

here as the sheriff added to my respect for Murphy.

I also took note of Oscar Gahan who was part of the action. This guy must have done two hundred movies and was often uncredited, but his face is one that makes you go, ‘I’ve seen him.’ I thought he brought character to the movie.

This movie includes plenty of action and a dab of romance. It also, for better or worse, includes some Ritter warbling.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1115091265921130/k2311a0915/9.15.10