Vtech 5.8GHz phone CS5211  » Electronics  »
2.5
  • We all have our own cell phones here, but I like the security of having a landline when possible, and when I buy phones I try to get them in package deals so you get a corded and cordless phone in one package, and that way I don't have to worry about what happens if cell phones are unavailable and electricity is out, becase then there will always be a landline
  • I thought at first it was my actual phone line and I even had technicians out here dealing with it, but the line itself wasn't the problem

• by Anasuya

I actually don’t use a house phone all that often. We all have our own cell phones here, but I like the security of having a landline when possible, and when I buy phones I try to get them in package deals so you get a corded and cordless phone in one package, and that way I don’t have to worry about what happens if cell phones are unavailable and electricity is out, becase then there will always be a landline. I ended up buying the Vtech CS5211 5.8GHz phone, which was a dual package but you could buy them separately if you wanted.

The cordless unit is a nice small size, and the only thing to the base is that it has enough room to place the phone in the port and a small LED red light that goes on when the phone is in

use. The phone itself has a pretty large size LED screen, that lights up green. There’s enough room to see the name of the person or company calling you, the phone number, the time and date and there’s even a little indicator in the lower right hand side of the screen that will let you know how many voice mails you have.

When you’re on the phone and someone calls in, the caller ID shows up on the phone, even while it’s in use, like with most cell phones these days. This phone was only $20 and that was including both the corded and cordless phones, so it wasn’t a bad price and I didn’t expect a lot of frills with it. Oh, and to use the voicemail feature with the little indicator on the phone, you have to subscribe to the phone company’s voicemail plan,

• obviously, otherwise this feature will be absent during the use of this phone.

I had the phone for about two months when I started having problems out of it. I knew it was a cheaper phone so I wasn’t expecting anything great, but I was thinking it should have at least lasted me a year before it started giving me problems, especially considering I hardly use my home phone for much at all except to give to telemarketers and for coupons because I never answer that phone and let everything go to voicemail anyway, so it didn’t matter. It was mostly just an emergency phone to have in the house in case the cell phones weren’t working or were unavailable.

But after the first two months, it was like I started hearing a lot of static in the background whenever I used this phone. It was

actually pretty obnoxious how often it would do it. I could hear the static lightly in the background, but if I shifted or turned the wrong way from the base it seemed the static would get so bad I couldn’t hear anything at all. I thought at first it was my actual phone line and I even had technicians out here dealing with it, but the line itself wasn’t the problem.

Aside from the static, I dropped this phone only one time on the kitchen floor, and after that half of the LED screen no longer worked. It lit up green like it was supposed to, but all the words and numbers stopped half way across the screen. This wasn’t a very good or reliable phone at all. I ended up taking it back, despite having had it for two months, and got my money back.

Jan Russell says :

my phone is showing 38 voice mail messages. I have listened to them all, but the face of the phone still shows 38 messages and I can`t remove the message on the face screen. I have used the the instructions on page 10 of the phone manual. Thanks, Jan jrr10277 aol.com

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1615091265531130/k2311a0915/9.15.10