Adobe Photoshop Elements Software  » Software  »
1.0
  • And the first thing I noticed is that the program is absolutely huge and it took almost thirty minutes to download and install despite the fact I don't exactly have a slow internet connection

• by Anasuya

When one of my friends realized I was using what he called an archaic photo editing software, Photoscape (perhpas he thinks it’s archaic because it’s free), he practically demanded I do the art world a favor and upgrade to an Adobe Photoshop program, and claimed there were less expensive ones available for the amatuer artist. The least expensive one that I could find was the Adobe Photoshop Elements 8, which was around $100. That was still a little out of budget for me, so I ended up downloading the thirty day free trial. And the first thing I noticed is that the program is absolutely huge and it took almost thirty minutes to download and install despite the fact I don’t exactly have a slow internet connection.

When it was finally installed and I opened the software up, I was on sensory overload because the entire set up

of this program (and I’m thinking perhaps Photoshop programs in general) are incredibly complicated to understand. There seems to be no logic at all as to how or why things are set up the way they are. It took me fifteen minutes just to find the size and cropping tool, and even that was more complicated to use than I’d anticipated.

I am not a computer afficianado by any means at all, and so I really needed a program that would offer me the features I would use but without the complication of having to watch and read tutorials. And the video tutorial they offer is pointless, and shows you finished results of what can be done using this program, but not how to do it. Perhaps that’s because it was a free version and if I’d paid for the complete software, it might have been a little ...

• more indepth in this area.

I was trying to figure out how to color spot on this software, removing all color around a certain point in a photo or drawing, and I just couldn’t figure out how to do. A half an hour later I finally did a search online for a tutorial to walk me through it, and even the tutorial was too complicated to understand. I couldn’t find half the buttons and features they had mentioned as pertinent steps to achieving the goal, so I finally just abandoned the idea entirely. It had something to do with creating layers, and though I was able to create a second layer using this program, I couldn’t figure out how to edit the layer sufficiently.

Photoshop Elements, despite being one of the simpler Photoshop programs to use, is NOT user friendly in the least. If you haven’t been to

school and forced to take a class on the mechanics of this kind of software, you’ll likely be as lost with it as I was. If I can’t spend two or three days fiddling and learning the ropes on my own, then it’s just too complicated a software to me, and I’ve very glad I tried the free version before investing the money because otherwise I’d have found myself in teary-eyed fits of frustration knowing I’d paid for this program and then not being able to figure out how any of it works. I will not be investing in Adobe Photoshop programs in the future and I’m very happy to stick with my free Photoscape editing software that offers almost as many features as Photoshop, and costs me nothing, not even my time since it’s so easy to learn. I hated Photoshop, and deleted it from my computer the second day.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3015091265431130/k2311a0915/9.15.10