Avon Uplifting Waterproof Mascara in Brown
2.5
  • Before I decided to put a premium on mascaras, I couldn’t afford pricey cosmetics so I’d be treading waters by trying out reasonable finds
  • Regardless of the product’s good performance, I was rather disappointed because of the irregularities in its formula
  • I guess, I’d gladly recommend it if only it didn’t work so fleetingly

• by jhunie

One of my beauty woes is a stiff set of lashes. It’s difficult to keep my lashes curled. My rigid lashes aren’t very pliable and most mascaras aren’t effective at thrusting them upward for a longer period. I have thick, considerably long lashes that would often fringe down my eyes. Now I had it permed and it’s much easier to tame. Before I decided to put a premium on mascaras, I couldn’t afford pricey cosmetics so I’d be treading waters by trying out reasonable finds. I would use mascaras randomly. I went for this uplifting waterproof mascara by Avon thinking my lashes would certainly need a good lift.

I chose a muddy brown shade that was a great pair up to my new hair color because I had it dyed in a deep chestnut color back then. The ink was concentrated and it appeared full to the brim. It had a slightly goopy consistency, the kind that’s less resistant to flow. It spreads well on my lashes and grooms out each

lash. A few coats of the ink was enough, otherwise, I’d end up with an overkill of mascara, like spider webs on my eyes. It’s a good mascara but collectively, I had the feeling sometimes that my wick-like lashes were looking so synthetic, even though it was a soft brown shade.

I have to give the product credit though because it’s good at taming my lashes. It brings definition to the eyes and coats evenly without messy clumps. I liked it for a certain period of time. Of course, when it comes to mascaras, it’s fundamental to talk about the wand applicator. As what I could remember, the product’s mechanism was centered on its bendable wand. The spooley at the end of the wand was made entirely of rubber which gave it flexibility. You’re supposed to tilt the wand as you pull it out of the vial. In order to truly bend the tip at a desired angle, you need to hold it against the tube obliquely for a few seconds.

• In fairness I could really see the brush bent which allows me to cover the tricky corners of the lashes more conveniently given its tweaked angle. The rubber applicator is actually firm and isn’t flimsy so I could control it precisely, although, I didn’t really find a big functional difference in the application compared to other similar mascaras devised with straight-tipped brushes.

The mascara takes some beating on the formula. It’s awfully thick and seems to get worse over time. I was anticipating the mascara would last a long time given its size. It usually dispenses a lot of ink with each application, giving me the impression that the product has a plentiful amount. But the ink got thicker and after a few weeks of use – application became tricky. The formula evolved to something tacky and creamier. It felt like I was brushing my lashes with gel. I needed to clean the spooley applicator since bits of mascara had stuck to the bristles. The vial inside was littered with

all these rubbery particles which were once the dried clumped-up mascara. I discontinued using the mascara for a while. As time passes – the more stagnant the mascara gets, the more the formula changed completely. I thought it was expired after 2 months.

Its redeeming factor is lasting power. Every time I use this mascara, I find the curl stays longer. The mascara holds my lashes up. I could feel it adds a bit of weight over my eyes though. I also like that it doesn’t bleed no matter how many times I squint my watery eyes. The black vial has a long plump shape and fat in the middle. Regardless of the product’s good performance, I was rather disappointed because of the irregularities in its formula. I surely would have patronized the product, If only it didn’t morph into something else in the end. It was cheap though, at 8 dollars. I guess, I’d gladly recommend it if only it didn’t work so fleetingly. Thus, I deserved better.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3110091264860530/k2311a0910/9.10.10