Kalorik Chocolate Fountain  » Housewares  »
  • That's not convenient when you're hosting an all-day party
  • Luckily, I didn't pay for this fountain myself or I'd be highly disappointed
  • I wouldn't recommend someone purchasing this unless you're planning for a one time use

• by onerios13

I don’t know what prompts my friends to buy me the things they buy me, but they do know me well enough to know I have a penchant for kitchen appliances and have more appliances than I have counter and cabinet space to store them all. One of my friends bought me a Kaloric Chocolate Fountain when I moved into my new house and had a housewarming party. She said she’d provide a chocolate fountain and some treats to go with it, but then left the fountain (and the mess) with me afterwards.

The fountain is nice, but it has a really ugly base. The base almost looks like it was unfinished. There’s just nothing pretty about it at all. I wouldn’t want it sitting as a centerpiece

on a table at a nice party or anything because it doesn’t have the look of quality equipment. Maybe if it had a sleeve that wrapped around the base and covered the ugliness up it would be a bit more appealing to me. But the fountain part that the chocolate acutally comes out of has a very nice shape to it that’s pleasing and appealing to the eye.

You have to pre-melt the chocolate before putting it in. You can use brown or white chocolate and you pour the melted chocolate right into the base, and switch the motor on, and the chocolate moves up the tube in the center of the base and pours out the top, draping over the three half-spheres that are spaced evenly down ...

• the tube.

base is ugly, but fountain is nice

Like I mentioned before, my biggest gripe is the fact that you can’t melt the chocolate in the unit itself. The on/off switch keeps the base warm enough to keep the chocolate melted, but even that is if-y. We’ve had problems with the fountain clogging an hour into having it running, and the chocolate stops flowing and then starts to solidify in the base. We’ve had to dismantle the whole thing, re-clean it very well, and then re-melt the chocolate in a seperate pot and put it back in the base to get it working properly. That’s not convenient when you’re hosting an all-day party. Luckily, I didn’t pay for this fountain myself or I’d be highly disappointed.

The instruction

booklet says it’s easy to clean, but I beg to differ. The chocolate takes forever to wash off of it unless you are using scalding hot water. You are supposed to be able to put the individual parts in the dishwasher, but we’ve tried that before and ended up with chocolate bits still stuck to the unit, and then I had to individually soak everything in steaming hot soapy water for a half an hour before I could get it clean.

I wouldn’t recommend someone purchasing this unless you’re planning for a one time use. It did work well the day my friend brought it over, but the other three times we’ve tried to use it have provided more headache and mess than we’d prefer to have to deal with.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5310091263960330/k2311a0910/9.10.10