2010 Minnesota Vikings  » Sport  »
2.5
  • I’m going to start out by saying I know they were facing the defending Super Bowl champions on the road and there is plenty of time to make adjustments
  • But, while there were some strengths, I think there are some definitely weaknesses too
  • The Vikings went out of their way to convince Brett Favre to come back for one more season and, I do think he is the best quarterback on the roster

• by Review Vigilante

Well, I’ve been holding off on writing my opinion about the various NFL teams until I had a chance to see them in action. And, when I say in action, I mean real action; not the fake action you see in preseason. I didn’t get an opportunity to watch the entire opening game of the NFL season with the Minnesota Vikings playing the New Orleans Saints. But, I did see enough to know the Vikings are a team that might not be as good as they were last year. I’m going to start out by saying I know they were facing the defending Super Bowl champions on the road and there is plenty of time to make adjustments.

And, starting out 0-1 obviously isn’t a guarantee you won’t go on to do great things. But, while there were some strengths, I think there are some definitely weaknesses too. I’ll start out with the strength of this team; the defense. I had doubts when the Vikings first hired their defensive coordinator but he had a great defense last season and this one looks just as good.

The Saints are a team that is used to scoring 30 points per game and seeing

them held to just two touchdowns was actually pretty impressive and the defense should be applauded for that. But, I have a feeling this is a team that is going to be relying on its defense a bit too much; at least for the short term. The Vikings went out of their way to convince Brett Favre to come back for one more season and, I do think he is the best quarterback on the roster. However, after watching him, I’m not fully convinced he is healthy enough to be as effective as he once was.

He still has the arm and his decision making is pretty decent. But, he doesn’t seem to have as much mobility as he had before. And, one of the things that has always made him great is his ability to buy time in the pocket by escaping the pass rush. I’m not sure it’s an injury that is going to go away anytime soon either; which will hurt this team simply because defenses will take advantage of that by blitzing.

Favre also seems to lack a rhythm with the receivers on the roster not named Sidney Rice. With Rice gone until at least week 6,

• this is going to be a bad thing and it shows that the Vikings should have insisted on him playing at least in one more preseason game than he did; in an effort to work out the timing. Oh, and what was up with all the penalties. That’s got to be on the coaching staff.

Running back Adrian Peterson seems to be better when it comes to protecting the football and he is still the type running back that will run you over. However, I couldn’t help but notice that he wasn’t breaking off many big runs this last game and I’m not sure if that is the result of the defense or if his efforts to protect the ball hurt his game breaking ability. Only time will tell. One thing is for certain though, if Favre can’t get the passing game going; allowing teams to concentrate on Peterson, I don’t know if the running back will make it through the season.

Special teams were average, at least last night. They weren’t turning the ball over with muffed punts or anything like that and they seemed to be OK with coverage. But, I don’t think they have anyone who is a

game changer when it comes to kick or punt returns; something that really can come in handy. The Vikings don’t have the same soft schedule they did to open last season so, if I were a Vikings fan, I would worry a bit about the fact the team doesn’t seem to be in synch just yet.

I think it is possible to see this team lose half or even more of its first 6 games and, even though they are a favorite to win the NFC North, a slow start could put them in enough of a hole to prevent that and even have them finishing lower than second. To me, the fault for last night’s game falls squarely on coach Brad Childress’ shoulders for allowing Favre to wait until after training camp to show up and then resting his quarterback even more (like he needed it) during preseason; leading to a very rusty showing and a performance that honestly doesn’t look like an improvement over what Tavaris Jackson could have done for them or Sage Rosenfelds. They might still be the team to beat in the NFC North, but they deserved that loss last night and likely will have a lot of questions to answer over the next couple of weeks.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3510091262800130/k2311a0910/9.10.10