Rosiglitazone and Metformin (Avandamet) 2 mg/500 mg tablet  » Medicine  »
  • Although it was not bitter and odourless, the shape and size of the tablet became an issue for me
  • During the first few days of taking this medicine, I noticed that I had this insidious headache that usually struck in the morning, prior to me getting up from bed

• by Carlisle

Because the recent blood test that I got came in wasn’t satisfactory, my doctor suggested I try this new medication for my illness. It was a test to determine how well I was coping with the medication and how much percentage I was able to manage the glucose level in my blood. It was important that the range fall between the normal level or else it would indicate that either I had to change my diet or had to shift to another medication. Since my doctor determined that the drug is the culprit, he decided to shift me to a new medication. The new drug was Rosiglitazone and Metformin (Avandamet).

Rosiglitazone and Metformin (Avandamet) is a drug which belongs to the classification of

anti-diabetics. It’s a combination drug which works by increasing the glucose use of the body while decreasing the liver production of glucose. Doctors prescribe this medication in addition to the diet and exercise of diabetic patients. I was prescribed with the 2 mg + 500 mg metformin tablet. Each tablet is elliptical or oval in shape. It has the imprints ‘gsk’ on one side and the number ‘2/500’ on the other. I was able to purchase this drug for $25. It contained 30 tablets per box. The pharmacist told me that a prescription is needed to purchase this drug.

Because the tablet was oval in shape, I had some difficulty swallowing it. Although it was not bitter and odourless, the shape and size ...

• of the tablet became an issue for me. I had to drink a lot of water before I was able to gulp it down my throat. I was able to note my blood sugar drop slowly in just 30-45 minutes. It only became apparent after an hour. An hour and a half passed and I observed that my blood glucose level went back to normal! The peak of the drug lasted for two to four hours. During the first few days of taking this medicine, I noticed that I had this insidious headache that usually struck in the morning, prior to me getting up from bed. I was able to manage this by taking an analgesic. Another thing that I
        experienced was a mild case of diarrhoea that was persistent in the following days. I called my doctor regarding this and told me to take an oral rehydration solution to prevent dehydration. After two weeks of taking this drug, I often felt tried and exhausted.

During the days when I was feeling tired, I would just lie on bed because I was too weak to do my normal routine for the day. What I liked about this medication is the combined effectiveness that I can get from Rosiglitazone and Metformin. The desired effect was rapid too! This is coupled with the affordability of the drug. I therefore give Rosiglitazone and Metformin (Avandamet) only a 6 because of the side effects that it caused.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2610091262400130/k2311a0910/9.10.10