Puma Damascus Steel Folding Knife from Sportsman’s Guide  » Other  »
1.5
  • When it arrived, I was a tad disappointed
  • Still, I had my daily carry Damascus folder and I was happy
  • I thought upon it for a few days and decided that I should just send it back and exchange it for another
  • I like the Kershaw and will review it separately
  • I would still recommend a Puma to anyone in the market for a decent pocket knife, but I would steer clear of this Damascus unit with the Chinese-made blade

• by Hiram Justus

I have wanted a regular carry Damascus steel pocket knife for quite a while. One day, I was perusing the Sportsman’s Guide catalogue that regularly comes to the house and saw what appeared to be the pocket knife of my dreams: a Damascus liner-lock that was reasonably priced. Further still, it was made by Puma, a reputable German manufacturer. I ordered the knife, telling my wife and daughter that I had my Father’s Day gift on the way. I have started a tradition of buying two of the same knives, one for myself and the other for my Dad, for Christmas, birthdays, and Father’s Day, so I also ordered another for Dad at the same time.

When it arrived, I was a tad disappointed. The blade was beautiful. It took a nice sharp edge and

held it longer than many of the higher-buck knives I have in my drawers. My knife was the one with the black Zytel handles while Dad’s was the unit with the wooden handles. However, the stainless handles looked cheap. They were squared and chunky looking and not terribly attractive. Still, I had my daily carry Damascus folder and I was happy. My six year old daughter would see me using it and ask me, “Is that the knife I got you for Father’s Day?”

One day, I was emptying my pockets and I dropped the knife. It shattered in several pieces. When I examined it, I discovered that the pivot was poorly designed. It looked as if it had had too much metal machined away and it was just a matter of time ...

• before the unit broke down. I was pretty peeved. However, the blade was so good that I considered keeping it and using the blade in a handmade knife that I could make. I thought upon it for a few days and decided that I should just send it back and exchange it for another.

Sportsman’s Guide was pretty cool about taking it back. They asked me what I wanted to do about getting another knife (store credit). I thought about it and asked if they could send me another knife in their catalogue, the Kershaw Ken Onion Blackout. There was a difference in the price, but they credited me for what I had paid for the Puma and let me pay the ten or twelve dollar difference on the spot.

Now, Dad still has his Puma.

He doesn’t usually carry it or any of the other nice knives I’ve sent him on a daily basis. He opens boxes and cuts steel banding for pallets on a regular basis, so he usually carries a Kobalt box cutter. I like the Kershaw and will review it separately.

For the record, I have three other Pumas, all essentially the same lock-back folder in different sizes. The oldest unit (probably thirty or so years old) is the best of all of them, but the other two are well-made and rugged. I would still recommend a Puma to anyone in the market for a decent pocket knife, but I would steer clear of this Damascus unit with the Chinese-made blade.

Sportsman’s Guide’s customer service, by the way, is as good as it gets. Buy from them with confidence.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1210091262011230/k2311a0910/9.10.10