Nikon D3X  » Cameras  »
  • The D3X is the best I've ever had bar none
  • Of course, with a price tag of $8K, it's definitely not for the point-and-shoot crowd

• by DeeCee

This camera is SUBLIME!! I am a professional photographer and depend on my equipment to survive. And this camera has taken my photography to the next level. My images have never looked better, richer, and more polished. I can actually trust what comes straight out of the camera, which I never did with any of my previous cameras, including my film camera, the Nikon F5. The D3X is the best I’ve ever had bar none! Of course, with a price tag of $8K, it’s definitely not for the point-and-shoot crowd. You have to be at least somewhat serious about your photography to even want to

go that route.

The body is built like a tank, and could probably drive a nail into a board (though I wouldn’t suggest it). It is heavy, and bulky (and I am a woman with small hands so it’s a little awkward even after months of use). But it’s also satisfying. I feel like I’m holding a real camera. Not that that means anything, but it does feel good.

Then there is the speed. It can shoot up to 5 frames per second. Which is more than good enough to let me capture the images I need of the three year old who simply keeps running ...

• away from me, and is all over the place.

The custom menu allows for some serious tweaking as well. And it’s got a lot of features (like B&W conversion) that are fun, but not something that the serious amateur or professional is really going to do much with. Maybe if Nikon gave us just the meaty camera, without all the silly stuff, we might be able to know a few grand off that price, huh?

It has a large format sensor. A FULL format sensor which means you can actually get the scene you want instead of having to factor in the 1.5 multiplier and settling for a narrower

viewpoint. OF course, if you did invest in a bunch of DX lenses, it also allows you to use those, and crops them for you automatically if you want. It’s beautiful!

Is it too expensive? Absolutely! I mean, yes, it is a 24.5 megapixel camera. Which is really sweet. But is it $8,000 sweet? Nope. But keep an eye on it and when the pricet tumbles, start seriously considering picking one up, especially if you want to take your photography to the next level. It’s not a Hassy or even a Mamiya, but it’s the sweetest thing short of those that you’ll be seeing anytime soon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 4310091262001230/k2311a0910/9.10.10