Canon Pixma MX870
  • After I started getting into a photography about a year ago and was steadily upgrading my camera, I decided it was probably time to get a new printer as well
  • Something that could do quality photographic prints, and something that preferably wouldn't cost me too much
  • I thought this might be too much printer for me, but it was actually pretty easy to use
  • This is honestly the best printer I've ever purchased and is a nice sleek design in black, which goes with the rest of the electronics I have in my living room

• by Anasuya

After I started getting into a photography about a year ago and was steadily upgrading my camera, I decided it was probably time to get a new printer as well. Something that could do quality photographic prints, and something that preferably wouldn’t cost me too much. I was willing to spend upwards of $200, but that was it. I figured I’d save myself a lot of money that way since I was planning on selling my photographic prints eventually and my printer at the time just wasn’t nice enough to do that kind of work and was slow as dirt too. The Canon Pixma MX870 was the first one to catch my eye and I liked it for a number of reasons, first off being that it

had a built in memory-card reader.

When I take pictures, I’ll load them to my computer, edit them in some editing software, and then move the finished photo to a memory card where it stays indefinitely, so having a printer to which I could just plug in the memory card was very nice. I thought this might be too much printer for me, but it was actually pretty easy to use. It has a pretty large LCD screen, over two inches, and you can follow the screen directions pretty easily for doing anything you need to do on the printer. It even has built-in Wi-Fi as well and can print, scan, fax and copy. This is honestly the best printer I’ve ever purchased and is a nice

sleek design in black, which goes with the rest of the electronics I have in my living room. It also has grooved handles on the bottom so it’s easy to grip on to when and if you need to move it around.

You can fit up to 150 sheets into the folding output tray and another 150 sheets in the rear-loading cassette, so I can buy a pack of paper and put it all in the printer and not have to worry about reloading it for a very long time. And it can adjust for legal sized sheets and No. 10 envelopes as well, so it is really an excellent step up from my old prenter. I store small photo paper in the rear try and then ...

• Canon Pixma MX870
      normal paper in the front and you can chose which one you want to use when you are printing. There’s also a paper tray on the top of the printer that can hold 35 sheets for copying or scanning.

It has seperate ink trays which is a money saver instead of buying ready-mixed inks cartridges. Basically it ends up being that a color page costs about 5 cents to make and a black and white page costs about 3 cents, which is better than going to a copy center and paying for things page by page, not to mention the convenience of having a printer like this right in your own home and not having to drive anywhere else to get printing jobs finished.

There are two

ways you can print content from a memory card too. You can pick and chose pictures using the navigation pad, and it even has multiple functions on the printer itself to reduce red-eye and change a picture from color to sepia or black and white, noise reduction and all that. I’ve never seen or had a printer that does all of this straight from the menu without having to use a editing software for photos. I still do use an editing software, but it’s nice to know for simple changes I can do it straight from the printer without having to upload to the computer and edit it that way. Excellent printer and I wouldn’t be without it. I can’t imagine needing to upgrade it any time soon.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1610091261431130/k2311a0910/9.10.10