Sony eBook Reader Digital Book with Touch Screen, PRS600
  • It cost me about $170, which is really only a freckle less than the nook costs now that it's been out for a while (I bought the nook when it was fresh off the manufacturing line), and there isn't a whole lot bad I can say about it
  • The one I got was a nice cherry red color, which I think hides scratches and imperfections better than the white
  • Though I love my nook and wouldn't be without it, I wish it came with more color options like this Sony eBook does
  • Getting a bundle package wasn't an option for me when I bought the nook, so that's one thing in favor of the Sony
  • But it was a good start into the eBook market for me, and I don't regret it in the least

• by Anasuya

Before I purchased my nook earlier this year, I had a Sony eBook reader with touch screen. It was the PRS600 model. It cost me about $170, which is really only a freckle less than the nook costs now that it’s been out for a while (I bought the nook when it was fresh off the manufacturing line), and there isn’t a whole lot bad I can say about it.

First off, it looks far better than the Amazon Kindle e-reader. There’s no obnoxious key pad that looks ugly on the front of an e-reader, since it’s all touch screen. The one I got was a nice cherry red color, which I think hides scratches and imperfections better than the white. Though I love my nook and wouldn’t be without it, I wish it came with more color options like this Sony eBook does.

It’s very thin. Less than a half an inch, and is very light weight. It’s not too large. A bit shorter

than the nook, and much less bulky than the Kindle. One of the main problems with the Sony eBook PRS600 is that it can only store 350 books. Let me explain why this is an issue. I bought my nook in February. Only six months later, and I have over 100 books on it already. Thankfully the nook can hold up to 1500 books in its internal memory, and 3000 if you get a memory card for it. This Sony eBook doesn’t offer any such options. Once you reach the 350 book mark, you’re stuck there. You can’t add memory to it, and sometimes you may not even get the whole 350 books out of it depending on the size of each book.

The nice feature though was the touchscreen, which the Kindle didn’t have. Both the Sony and Kindle were out before the nook, so your options were limited, and it was a big deal to me when I saw that this eBook had ...

• the touchscreen feature. But the bundle package does come with the AC charger, the car charger, your color choice, and an cover to protect it. Getting a bundle package wasn’t an option for me when I bought the nook, so that’s one thing in favor of the Sony.

You can change font size for easier reading. No need to squint because there’s no glare at all. The pages look like real pages of a book. The page turns are very fast, but if you stop to think about how long it takes you to turn a page in a real book, a couple seconds here and there for an electronic page turn isn’t that big of a deal to me. There’s a built-in dictionary in it, which I LOVED, and miss the most now that I’ve switched to the nook, and you can even check out books from public libraries and keep them for 14 days, just like you would if you’d gone and checked

the book out in person. You’re supposed to be able to enjoy up to two full weeks of reading between charges, but that is GROSSLY mis-stated. It would totally depend on the amount of time each day you are reading. I can read for six hours at a time, and at that rate, I was recharging almost every three days. That’s still not that bad, though. You can upload and read PDF files too. But, like I said, it’s biggest downfall is the fact you can only keep 350 books on it at any given time, and that’s the main reason I upgraded to the nook. Aside from that, it’s worth the money. It’s about $70 cheaper than the nook or kindle and the only real feature it’s lacking is the amount of books you can store, and the library options for selecting books to purchase. But it was a good start into the eBook market for me, and I don’t regret it in the least.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1610091261231130/k2311a0910/9.10.10