Comfort Retriever  » Pets  »
2.5
  • Should a time ever present itself to consider another Comfort Retriever, I wouldn't hesitate at all to bring another home

• by Andi Bryant
      Following the long mourning period after the death of my 14 year old dalmation, my daughter consipired with my husband to bring a puppy into the home. I was against the idea, insisting there wasn’t a dog on the planet who would ever compare. My daughter found a rescue shelter with several cocker spaniel/golden retriever pups and thought she might coax my okay by bringing one home for a visit.

About the size of a melon, the hazel eyed pup was cute, there’s no denying that. Still defending my stance on ‘no dog would

compare’, and after hours of ‘I’ll take care of everthing’ from my daughter, reluctantly, I agreed.

Like many shelter dogs, this pup came to us with a handful of antibiotics for kennel cough and a nagging case of pneumonia. She just wasn’t starting off right.

After a few days of watching the sick little pup, we took her to the vet who gave us a diagnosis of parvovirus and a list of ‘comfort care’ instructions. We were told 1:5 pups don’t survive parvovirus.

I was terrified that this little ball would pass on too.

• I was as attentive as one could ever be with a sick member of the family, and after a week of spoon feeding and licking water from a cloth, the pup began to turn around.

The cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix is actually a hybrid breed, called Comfort Retriever. The name explains the dog in a nutshell.

Weighing between 25 and 35 pounds and standing roughly 17″ tall, the little girl has the face of a spaniel, something straight out of Lady and the Tramp. Fast, solid, inquisitive and playful, this extremely smart, very affectionate dog

is a jackpot.

The breed’s tan coat is short-haired, like the retriever in them, with longer fur on their ears, tail and saddle. While I am still saddened by the loss of my dalmation, the Comfort Retriever has certainly brought something back into my life that I lost with the death of my previous dog.

Although she started out on such a rocky road, she is extremely fit and as healthy as a person could hope for. Should a time ever present itself to consider another Comfort Retriever, I wouldn’t hesitate at all to bring another home.

Kathy Burgess says :

I’m glad you loved your little dog. Please be aware that it wasn’t a Comfort Retriever. I am the creator of the breed and we don’t use any cocker in our breeding program. Also be aware that this breed is trademarked. Many breeders try to pass of their dogs as counterfit Comforts. Please correct your post as I don’t want any owners to be mislead that your dog that had parvo came from us. Feel free to contact us if you have questions.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291102125981028/k2311a0211/2.11.07