BPI (Bank of the Philippine Island) Credit Card Application  » General services  »
1.0
  • Since I only have one credit card and that moment and that is HSBC, I decided I want a BPI Credit Card
  • Without awareness of my experience, she called me one time at work and offered me a BPI Credit Card
  • I learned from a friend that she already have a BPI credit card

• by Grecy

I received a call from a telemarketer one time while I was at work. She was offering a BPI Credit Cards and she says I was pre-approve. From the meaning of the term, pre-approve means I need a few documents to give and I can the big chance to be approve. Since I only have one credit card and that moment and that is HSBC, I decided I want a BPI Credit Card. The telemarketer even included that once my credit card is approve, I can loan an amount double the amount of your credit limit. For example, my credit card limit is PHP 25,000, I can loan PHP 50,000.

Therefore, my eyes turned into peso sign after hearing it and started collecting important documents that I will need like photocopy of company ID or government ID, my ITR or Income Tax Return and two recent pay slips. I faxed it to the number given and confirmed if the other party received it.

As my documents were completed and received, the telemarketer advice me to wait for a C.I or the Credit Investigation, means that someone from BPI Bank will call me to verify and confirm some information and approval is the next step. Someone did verified me after a week, that is

why I was so happy how fast the processing they have there. However, after a month of waiting for approval, I have not heard from them.

After one month and two weeks, I called BPI customer service and follow up my application. I found out from them that I was denied. Denied from what, that was my question because there is the reason behind it; however, the customer service failed to answer my question. She failed to give me some reason so I was left there hanging. I was so angry that after giving my effort to photocopy some of my documents and faxing it, this is what I had to face. I hardly believe that after telling me that I was pre-approve I was denied without any valid reason. I got irritated until I forgot about it.

Another story opens when my older sister got a job from a company that offers telemarketing job. Without awareness of my experience, she called me one time at work and offered me a BPI Credit Card. There were no pre-approving words my sister use while explaining me the process. I conclude that it is only a tactic or style of some of the telemarketer to use the term pre-approve. I decided to try it since ...

• it is my sister. I am hoping that there is a possibility that I will be approve as he is my sister, and she will do what it takes.

So the same process happen and after a week I received a call from a verification officer but this time she was just confirming that she received my documents and ready for approval. I waited a month and then my sister called me at the office and said that my application was cancelled. I asked her the reason however, she too failed to give any as it is stated it is cancelled without any valid reason.

The second time result sets me to frustration. How can BPI just treat their possible customers like that? They do not care if the credit card applicants are waiting for their application or not. Moreover, they just leave them behind wondering why it takes too long for their credit card to be approved. The do not even have send the applicants and email as a notice that their credit card application is denied or cancelled or approve rather. BPI leaves them hanging which is quite unfair.

I learned from a friend that she already have a BPI credit card. Therefore, I asked her how she does that. She shared

me the story that she only gave ID’s and one pay slip and she was called for verification after a week by BPI. She got her card after three weeks without any notice. I was shocked to know that I have complete documents to submit but still they deny and cancel my application. What kind of process does BPI do? Do they really choose the right candidate or they just choose the one they like? In addition, if such result shows like cancel or deny it has to have a reason, however BPI staff seems to do not care that you wasted your time for those documents and they simply put your application straight from the garbage can.

BPI Credit Card application sucks! I do not care if they are against my opinion; we are entitled to it anyway. My reaction is violent because they did not treat me right, which I hate so much. For those longing to have a BPI Credit Card I hope you pick up something from this review. For those someone from BPI that get the chance to read this review, I hope you will state some reason of denying and canceling credit card application from BPI before I totally lose my trust on it.

naneth says :

can i apply for a loan even i don’t have an account in your bank but i have account in other bank for my monthly allotee.

RS staff says :

Contact bank directly to get the first hand info.

M says :

Hi Naneth,

Please be advise that this website is not connected with BPI and so does the reviewer. My friend applied for a loan at the BPI even he dont have any account with them. So, you may apply a loan even you dont have an account.

lovemyreviews says :

Of course you can apply for a loan with a bank with whom you don’t have an account with. When I first started shopping for my loan, I went through Wells Fargo and I have an account with Bank of America. Now it’s more likely that you will find it more beneficial to have an account with the bank you have an account with, but it’s definitely not mandatory.

Aimee says :

You are always able to apply for a loan whether you have an account with a bank currently or not, the chances of them actually giving out the loan however is improved greatly if you do already have an established account.

Chugs says :

IMPORTANT: If deemed necessary, BPI may request for additional income documents at a later time. All data submitted will be treated with confidentiality by BPI Express Credit. Applications will be only processed upon receipt of all required documents and all related documents submitted to BPI will not be returned. In case of disapproval, BPI is under no obligation to provide reason for such decision.

ananymous says :

BPI should provide reason as the applicant also took an effort and time to provide documents what the bank needed. It’s not FAIR for applicant to just denied them without them knowing the reason. Baka hula-hula lang yan or worst yung may mga account lang sa bpi ang ina-approved nyo. wahahhaah

DDy says :

yeah i think so. banks should notify applicants whatever result it is. bpi such self centered.

ellen says :

yeah me too was decline by bpi even if I have savings account and checking accounts with them and I wonder why and whats the reason for declining the fact tjat I almost do all my business transaction everyday. I hate them now and planning to close all my accounts with them haha

chocolateserver says :

Hi I recently got approved by BPI for a Blue Mastercard and am just waiting for the card to be delivered. I filled out their online form and emailed them a photo of my IDs and a copy of my latest pay slips. I followed up after 1 week and luckily, I got an email from them the next day saying that I got approved.

I got excited because I really wasn’t expecting to be approved, considering i never had any credit card before. it’s actually my first. But I think it helped that I have an existing savings account with them. I also have a mutual fund account record with them which probable speaks a lot about my money habits.

I’ve heard a lot of times that it’s difficult to apply for a credit card with BPI. I’m not sure what’s the reason but maybe you should look at some factors like 1) do you have an account with them 2)is your salary at least Php20k 3)do you have a very good credit history with your other banks, etc.

A pre-approved card doesn’t necessarily mean they know everything about you so you qualify for a card. It just means they have your name in their database and are considering to offer you their service but will only do so IF you really complied with their requirements. It’s not about how many documents you’ve photocopied–it’s the details contained in your documents that determine if you’ll be qualified or not.

And don’t frustrate yourself if they don’t give you any feedback. As far as I know, banks don’t owe you an explanation if you’ve been denied because it will only give the applicant the chance to question their decision. Besides, they also won’t explain why you’ve been qualified, right? Just give yourself a timeline, after which you can assume that you’ve been denied.

grecy replies :

You explained it all and I really appreciates it. It is kind of frustrating when you expect something and that is what happens to me. I know there are lots like me that feels the same way though when they get denied from an application from credit but I moved on anyway. Thanks again and thanks for some clarifications.

chris says :

chocolateserver in a sense correct. banks doesnt owe you an explanation if you’ve been denied but maybe should at least be customer service oriented, perhaps setting of proper expectations to customer at first as to what might happen along the process.

Lyndon says :

I agree with Chris, there should be atleast a birds eyeview of the process including obstacles along the way so that the customer will not expect. And I have a negative view of a telemarketer because they are only an agent of the Bank and they are being paid to collect customers, they act as medium between the bank and the customers. e.g like selling products through call centers all of this call center agents are telemarketers. So to make it short, Telemarketers are used by the bank to market their service and promos and these telemarketers have quota, so they have to collect and collect as many customers as they could and the bank cannot process all of them due to their numbers so the bank disapproved some applications. Therefore, the best thing to do is to go directly to the bank and apply for a credit card or apply for a loan to ensure firsthand transaction.

Chit says :

There is something called an equal credit opportunity act(senate bill no.1540). I don’t know if this bill has been passed or not . this bill gives us, the people who loans or have credits in the banks to have the right to know why we are being denied loan applications. So that a person can try to correct and do something about his/her credit scores or credit portfolios. So i don’t get why banks in our country won’t state reasons of disapprovals of loans. Banks do owe us explanations why.

Azriel says :

Hi Chit, are you sure this is the correct senate bill no? I checked it out and it said VISION PREVENTION Act. Check this out:

Ven says :

Hi Azriel,

It’s here:

check out Section 7.

Section 7. Reason for Adverse Action Procedure Applicable

Each applicant against whom adverse action is taken shall be entitled to a statement of reasons for such action form the creditor. A creditor satisfies this obligation by–

(i) providing statements of reason in writing as a matter of course to applicants against whom adverse action is taken

James says :

Hi. I recently got approved and waiting for the card to be delivered in my office. Actually, it was a no-sweat processing at all. BPI called me on my mobile, verified my current contact numbers and addresses and voila, after a week, I got a text message from BPI congratulating me because I was approved and that the card will be delivered in 5 days.

I wasn’t actually expecting it but to give you a tip, they asked me how much is my gross monthly income (Php23,000). I think the main factor why they didn’t ask me for any documents is because I have my payroll account in BPI and I think they have looked into it, plus my transactions IN and OUT of my bank account in BPI.

DDy says :

I also submit complete docs. i follow up updte and teller phone answer my application was in process. then i talk to the customer serv she said that my application is denied. it sucks how come it happend since the teller fone stating that m application is on going. but in the other hand the customer service rep saying its denied.

i just stick to this one credit card chinabank. i got fuck off by bpi.

Saigone says :

Hi. I am not sure about the age of this post, but I just found this recently. We are also experiencing a rather slow processing of credit card application with BPI. They did however sent us a mail after more than a month, to submit more documents. I have yet to accomplish the said docs, so I think I would be waiting even longer then.
    About your experience, you mentioned they were “Telemarketers.” In that sense, they are just pooling applicants/prospects. If you are employed and/or has a steady source of income that meets their bracket, then you can be considered as a “pre-qualifier” already. But it is not a guarantee of approval. Further documents to be based against more criteria will decide on that. So probably their investigation returned some unfavorable results. I think they are quite strict, you know. But it is also understandable on their part. Just like what the other comments here say: “you can just give a certain timeline” — if you don’t receive any favorable response in maybe another month more after submission of more documents, then it is time to let it go. They really don’t owe you an explanation, unless they gave you some sort of promise on this issue.
    I hope it turned out the best for you.
    We are also keeping our fingers crossed for our own pending application :-)
    PEACE.

lulu says :

First of all, improve your English grammar. Second of all, BPI is one of the most credible banks in the Philippines. Maybe you just can’t get over the fact that you were denied. There are a lot of factors that contribute to the rejection and approval of one’s application. One is your credit score or standing, second is your income, third is your personal info like your location and if you have a landline - they have to secure that the applicant won’t have any reasons to go in to hiding, fourth is your employment status, and fifth is the length you own your current credit card. I just don’t find it acceptable how you said the BPI representative you talked to couldn’t give you any reasons why your application was denied. Accept the fact, move on, and don’t be telling lies about these kinds of things just because you didn’t get what you want.

ethan says :

:)) hahaha check the grammar and spellings too :))

susana says :

ay, there is grammarian here it’s you who can’t move on…she is just sharing what happened to her. okay?

quick note by anonymous :

It happens to me too, i hope BPI we see this review

Azriel says :

I have worked with Banks before and yes, they are not obliged to provide the reason for decline to applying customers for various services. Most of the reasons would actually offend the customers and I think that saves the company/bank time as well in disclosing that one is unable to sustain such a credit limit, etc. Also there are negative job types before like, if you are working for a call center where attrition is high that is not given a chance to have a credit card because maybe they would not stay in their company for a long time.

Jay M. Bernardo says :

re : I learned from a friend that she already have a BPI credit card
    I am an OFW working in Mozambique Africa. I opened my remittance ATM Savings account at the BPI booth inside POEA’s balik-manggagawa office. My account was almost 2 years in existence and my company is remitting my net salary every month on this BPI account. I want to avail for a credit card from BPI as well. As of this moment, I am here in Africa but I will be on vacation on November, 2015.

carmie26 says :

Hi Mr. Jay,

As long as your permanent residency is in the Philippines and you have properly filled out the requirements, you can send a credit card application with BPI. Eventhough you have an account with them, they still need to check and verify if they can approve your application.

You may checkout their website at bpi.com.ph

Goldie Marcelina G. Romero says :

i would like follow-up my credit card

carmie26 says :

Hi Goldie,

Call BPI customer service to inquire about your credit card application. Their hotline number is 89-100. You may also want to send them text message to 0917-8910000 just type in ASK space your name and your inquiry.

Goldie Marcelina G. Romero says :

i already did enquire but no answer has been received.

SharingXP says :

I am not sure if people may learn from my experiences.

I have been a BPI account holder for almost 7 years now. I have submitted my BPI credit card applications for numerous times in a year. During those times, I have been employed for more than 2 years in the same firm. Still I was always denied. Roughly 5 years ago, I applied for an RCBC credit card and luckily got approved with a minimal credit limit of 15,000.

Unfortunately, I mismanaged my credit card during that time and got delinquent with a very low credit limit of 15,000. Yes, for only 15,000. From then on, I still have my BPI accounts open. Until now, I still have savings account open with them. The average balance of all of those accounts combined never got above 100 pesos. The reason behind this is I use BPI as my means of transferring money from the metro to the provinces where my relatives are located. This for me is cost efficient and time efficient as I do not have to pay for money transfer fees and take the time to fall in line with the couriers since I can do it online and real time and no ids needed for the recipient - just the atm cards under my name.

I got laid-off from work sometime in August of 2015 and went jobless for 3 months. To my surprise, I randomly received a call from the so called “telemarketer” telling me that I am pre-approved for a BPI credit card and just need my SSS number. I was extremely surprised that I got pre-approved for a credit card during the time that I was unemployed and had a delinquent history from another bank not more than 5 years ago. I then gave my social security number and did not hope of being approved since I have applied numerous times even during the time I have a stable job.

After 3 days, I have received a text message telling me that I was approved for a credit card I have never applied for and I did not made an effort of submitting documents. I did not believe this text message since I thought it was a hoax (though it came from a valid BPI number).

Then 2 days after, I received a letter from BPI with the credit card enclosed. I am still wondering how I was approved during the time I was unemployed and no stable source of income. Maybe, it was because of the high activity of my BPI accounts, may because they got tired of my previous application and just decided to give me one, maybe because they thought I still have a job back then (they did not ask anyway so why bother letting them know, I did not apply during that time in the first place), or maybe because they sensed that I needed funds while I am in-between jobs thats why they gave me one.

Well, I am happy that I got approved but to those who were not - believe me, “try and try until you succeed” really does work :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 259091259650930/k2311a099/9.9.10