Straight Talk Wireless
  • About a month ago, my wife and I decided to do away with our contracted cell phone service
  • This was because our rates seemed to keep climbing every month and our company, US Cellular, wasn’t exactly the best company we have ever had
  • One month later, I do not regret that decision
  • However, I found I was able to monitor my balance via Straight Talk’s web site and, because of that, I realized I had just the right plan for me
  • If you are looking for a new cell phone service and don’t want to deal with contracts but also don’t want to deal with a pre-paid plan that makes you pay by the minute, this is the plan I would recommend

• by Review Vigilante

About a month ago, my wife and I decided to do away with our contracted cell phone service. This was because our rates seemed to keep climbing every month and our company, US Cellular, wasn’t exactly the best company we have ever had. I didn’t want to lock ourselves into another contract, especially since I actually rarely use my phone. So, instead, we decided to look into pre-paid services.

And, after some shopping, we signed up for Straight Talk wireless. One month later, I do not regret that decision. I have had prepaid services before and the whole reason I switched away from them was we weren’t able to keep our monthly budget under control.

As I said before, I rarely use my phone. But, my wife has a lot of friends through work and keeps in touch with

her relatives on the East Coast and she would constantly run out of minutes. Ultimately, it was cheaper to sign up for an actual plan (or, at least we thought at the time).

The thing that won me over about Straight Talk is we had two plans to choose from. The $30 plan that includes 1,000 minutes, 1,000 texts and 30 MB of data (surfing the web and sending and receiving picture messages) is perfect for me. As for my wife, for $15 more, she has unlimited everything, which is perfect for her.

The $75 we spend each month is about $50 less than we were paying with US Cellular (which charged us for every picture message or every time we needed to use our phones to look something up on the Web; like directions). Now, when I signed ...

• up for the $30 plan, I was a bit concerned about going over the allotted amount before the month was up because, even though I don’t talk on my phone a lot, my wife and I do send each other text messages throughout the day when we are both working. However, I found I was able to monitor my balance via Straight Talk’s web site and, because of that, I realized I had just the right plan for me.

My other concern with this service was with how good the reception was. We live in a medium sized town that does have cell phone towers. But, for some reason, a lot of phones can’t get a good signal here.

US Cellular, for example, had issues in a few of the stores here in town and I would occasionally run

into a dead spot here at work. I have had the Straight Talk service for a month now and have yet to deal with a dead spot. I did find one spot at our local Piggly Wiggly (in the freezer section) that had just one bar.

But, I have been able to call or text from everywhere we have gone. This includes a state park we visited recently; one that we were told our cell phones would not work at. I had enough bars to send pictures to my Facebook page.

If you are looking for a new cell phone service and don’t want to deal with contracts but also don’t want to deal with a pre-paid plan that makes you pay by the minute, this is the plan I would recommend. I have absolutely no complaints about it and only regret not making the switch much sooner.

Straight Talk Wireless

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 228091259240130/k2311a098/9.8.10