Jamestown Settlement, Jamestown Virginia  » Travel  »
  • It doesn't cost a dime to go into Jamestown Settlement and explore the area
  • They blow glass just as they did back in colonial times and it is an amazing process to watch
  • If you do that, you will not be disappointed

• by Dawn Hawkins

Jamestown Settlement in Virginia is a historic site that is probably better for adults to visit than children. This is the actual area where the settlers first came to America and made their homes. I visit Jamestown Settlement each time I visit Colonial Williamsburg to see what new things they may have found since the time that I have previously visited. They have laid out the area where homes once existed and there is a lot of excavation that happens at the site to find relics of the past. The buildings aren’t

there, but good information is listed on each site about what they have found and what they believe the building was due to the artifacts that they found there.

One of my favorite parts about visiting Jamestown settlement is the drive through the park. It is miles of land and there are information markers throughout. Stopping at the markers only makes sense if you want to learn more about the Settlement and how they survived. Life wasn’t easy for them and I try to imagine myself in their position. Each time I try ...

• to imagine that, I imagine that I would have failed miserably because it was just that hard.

It doesn’t cost a dime to go into Jamestown Settlement and explore the area. You are not allowed to dig and you are not allowed to take or damage any of the artifacts that are there, but you can explore to your hearts content. They have a glass blowing shop there as well. They blow glass just as they did back in colonial times and it is an amazing process to watch. I would highly suggest

that you watch this process if you take the time to visit Jamestown Settlement. It is amazing to me because the glass always seems to come out perfectly each time.

Take your time while visiting Jamestown Settlement so you get the true feeling of it. Give yourself at several hours to enjoy everything there is to enjoy. If you go for nothing else, go for the beautiful scenery that it provides. If you do that, you will not be disappointed. I, personally, go to Jamestown Settlement for the history, but not everyone is into that.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 388091258930130/k2311a098/9.8.10