Where The Wild Things Are: The Movie
  • I think it’s fair to say that mostly everyone has read, heard of, or watched the cartoon of “Where the Wild Things Are”
  • I really enjoyed watching Max’s character evolve throughout the story
  • I felt like this story was such a warm and family focused film that I know I will be watching it again

• by Susanna Frank

I think it’s fair to say that mostly everyone has read, heard of, or watched the cartoon of “Where the Wild Things Are”. Also, it hit headlines to a somewhat large scale as the 2009 movie was released, giving a new spin to the beloved children’s book. And while it’s a little sad for me to admit that I can’t really remember the book from my childhood, the movie gave me a new love for the story.

The main character, Max, who is a little boy seeming to seek attention from his mother and sister and not receiving it, turns his imagination towards being…well…a wild thing, and captured my heart while trying to find some sort of guidance. The movie takes off once Max acts out with his mother and bites her, leading him to act

more like an animal and less like a boy which I could tell bothered him extremely. He runs away, and travels to an island to find the wild things who soon nominate him as their king to make themselves and their world happier. What became a quest for Max to fit in with a group of wild creatures who needed him to guide them, turned into what I feel like them guiding him instead.

I really enjoyed watching Max’s character evolve throughout the story. I felt a slew of emotions as I saw the pain in him when he felt like no one was listening to him at home, and then seeing the enjoyment and excitement at being crowned king of the wild things. Each of the wild things had their own personality, which I absolutely ...

• thought was essential to making the movie work. Max formed a relationship with each of them, whether it be a distant one or a close one, not a single one of them was left in the background leaving me wondering what happened to them.

One of the wild things, Carol, formed an especially unique relationship with Max and I enjoyed seeing their friendship help one another realize the root of their individual problems. I felt like Max’s imagination created Carol as a way to discover where his own anger steamed from and why he acted out much of the time at home because Carol had similar anger problems with the wild things. When Max finally leaves the wild things to go back home, the goodbye between he and Carol left me a little teary eyed,

which I was not prepared for. I think it was seeing how connected they where, it was like seeing a bond that was just there and couldn’t be explained, that really got to me. Also, knowing that Max had learned much about himself with the wild things, and returned home wiser to the true reasons behind his anger was a beautiful way to end the story.

I felt like this story was such a warm and family focused film that I know I will be watching it again. It seems like one of those films that each time you watch it, it will get better and more underlying clues as to the character relationships and Max’s anger will be more apparent. I can’t wait to watch this film again to see what else I learn about the story!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 118091258890130/k2311a098/9.8.10