Coron Gateway Hotel & Suites  » Hotels  »
832 Arnaiz Ave Cnr Paseo de Roxas, Coron, Palawan 1223, Philippines
  • However, we decided to stay in town as it would be more convenient for us to get around as we were only there for a few days and it was my first time, so I wanted to see as much of it as possible
  • However, you would get used to it after a while and consider it quite charming
  • Pros--- there are lots of stores around to buy snacks, and to buy danggit (dried fish), which is a delicious specialty of Coron
  • However, when it comes to location, the pros definitely outweigh the cons
  • The only problem I had with the hotel is the cockroach, which sadly, is a really major sore spot, as it means that there is some problem with cleanliness although you would not notice any problem otherwise

• by TheCity

I recently went for a vacation to Coron, which is a town in Busuanga, Palawan. Palawan is an island in Luzon, Philippines, which is famous for its beaches, caves, dive spots, lakes, luxury resorts, etc. Coron is one of its most famous vacation spots. From Manila, It is approximately a one-hour plane ride.

There are very few luxury options in the main Coron island itself. However, we decided to stay in town as it would be more convenient for us to get around as we were only there for a few days and it was my first time, so I wanted to see as much of it as possible.

We decided to stay at the Coron Gateway Hotel which is the most luxurious among all the other hotels in town. The other choices are mostly lodges, and not full-fledged hotels, and have reputations of having a lot of mosquitoes and basic accommodations. Coron Gateway Hotel advertises itself as a luxury boutique, and is really a concrete building which means less insects, so we decided to go for it.

When I first saw the hotel, I was quite surprised. The hotel façade is not really luxurious; it looks just like any other plain building. There is no main door into the hotel, or a lobby; instead, just beside the road is a staircase leading up to the reservation desk on the second floor, and then the rooms. However, you would get used to it after a while and consider it quite charming. The hotel is really

very suitable to the simple island vibe of Coron.

The rooms are what define Coron Gateway Hotel as a luxury boutique hotel. They are spacious, modern, and well-furnished. The beds are big and comfortable, and the carpet is plush and clean. The quad room had two queen beds which fit four of us comfortably. It also has a big bathroom with shower, and a big bathtub. However, one thing that made a negative mark was that we saw a giant cockroach in the bathroom. There were no other bugs, though. But still, this kind of ruined the otherwise lovely room.

The location of the hotel is ideal for me. It is right beside the pier, which means that you only have to take a few steps to where the tours start. This is very convenient and made the vacation a lot more relaxing and less tiring despite the packed itinerary. It is also right beside the public market, which has pros and cons. Pros— there are lots of stores around to buy snacks, and to buy danggit (dried fish), which is a delicious specialty of Coron. It is also very easy to get transportation. However, it means that it can be quite noisy sometimes, especially as there is a videoke nearby. However, when it comes to location, the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

The price of the hotel is a lot more expensive than the other choices in town. I paid Php7,412 for 2 nights stay at a ...

• quad room, all meals (B,L,D) included, plus tours for two days and round trip transfers. The tour included Siete Pecados, Banol Beach, Kayangan Lake and Twin Lagoons for the first day, and then Malcapuya Island and Banana Island the second day. Our next choice cost only around Php5,000 each for a double (not quad) room inclusive of all meals, transfers, and tours. However, in my opinion, the price I paid for Coron Gateway was worth it.

The meals included in the package were of good value. We had buffet breakfast everyday consisting of normal breakfast fares. For lunch, they packed picnic baskets which we brought along to the beaches and islands. This included chicken which was barbecued right on the beach, chili crabs, liempo, and grilled fish, among others. The crabs were really good. They also brought a cooler along which had a lot of drinks, which we thought were included with our meal package, but which we were asked to pay for later on. Fortunately, they gave it to us for free after we complained. For dinner, we had a buffet the first night, as there were more people (the Vice President of the Philippines was staying there at that time as there was a festival), which included crab, fish, soup, etc., while on the second night, we had a plated meal as there were less people, but we could request the kitchen to bring out more of a certain food if we want to. The dinner was good, with

pork steak, delicious pasta, orange fish, and the most delicious apple fritter with cream for dessert. Yum!

The service was excellent. Although I had a hard time booking with their Manila office and had to follow up many times, the service of the staff in the hotel itself were impeccable. They were very attentive, was very flexible to our schedule and very observant with our needs. If there were any problems with the room, they would immediately go up if you call them and fix the problem to our satisfaction. Even if I requested a specific itinerary which was not included in their normal package, they did not make any mistakes and absolutely everything went smoothly. They were very friendly, greeting us every time we passed by, in a warm but unobtrusive and non-irritating way. Very,very good staff.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay in the hotel. If you want a classier and higher end hotel in Coron town, Coron Gateway Hotel is the best and only choice. If you still want more luxury, there is Club Paradise which is in Dimakya Island, around an hour away by boat. But for convenience, Coron Gateway can’t be beat. The only problem I had with the hotel is the cockroach, which sadly, is a really major sore spot, as it means that there is some problem with cleanliness although you would not notice any problem otherwise. Without the cockroach, I would have rated the hotel a 9 or 10. Still highly recommended, though.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 28091257381030/k2311a098/9.8.10