D’Addario XL Nickel Round Wound Electric Guitar Strings  » Music  »
0.5
  • I bought a pack of 5 sets of D'Addario XL Nickel Round Wound strings over at my local music store one day because they were on sale for a couple bucks a set
  • According to the case, they are known as The Player's Choice , and they are apparently the best strings on the market
  • It had nothing to do with my guitar, since I never ran into this problem like I did these strings
  • Ultimately, I decided to just keep using them until they broke and replace them with better strings

• by Ricardo L

I bought a pack of 5 sets of D’Addario XL Nickel Round Wound strings over at my local music store one day because they were on sale for a couple bucks a set. According to the case, they are known as “The Player’s Choice”, and they are apparently the best strings on the market. I’d never heard of them. So I took a chance and picked them up.

My first impression should have been my last. It would have

saved me so much time and frustration. The first strum was filled with this agonizing buzz. I made sure I put them on right, which I did. Figuring this was a result of them not being broken in yet, I played a few songs. But the buzz continued. Not only that, the strings had this defeating twang. The sound was ridiculously shallow, even when four string chords were used. In all honesty and literality, it made my guitar sound ...

• like a banjo. As a joke I even started playing it like a banjo, and it sounded exactly like one! I’m supposed to be playing horror punk and hardcore, not bluegrass! In addition, it took just minutes for them to get out of tune. It had nothing to do with my guitar, since I never ran into this problem like I did these strings. Ultimately, I decided to just keep using them until they broke and replace them with
        better strings. Didn’t take long. I broke 2-4 strings a week, at least. One day I broke four strings. In fact, I broke three strings on one strum once. These things are like thread!

I have absolutely no idea how D’Addario figures that they are the best strings on the market. I also have no idea what “player” would choose them as their “choice”. They are the worst strings I’ve ever used. They sound like crap and they break! What can be worse?!

Starletta Benson says :

re : According to the case, they are known as The Player’s Choice , and they are apparently the best strings on the market
    I disagree greatly that these are "The Player’s Choice" I have been playing guitar for many years, and I have changed the strings I use on my Gibson a lot, but so many have failed me including these. They don’t have a nice sound, they don’t last very well, they break easy, and they don’t feel good on my fingers. It takes a lot for me to break strings, because I use a heavy gauge 54′ or 52′ typically on the top string. These strings broke within a couple of weeks, my DR’s can last for months. I typically don’t keep DR’s on that long, because I gig nearly every night, but back a few years ago I did leave them on for around 2 months and they didn’t break. They were a bit rusted, but they still sounded good and worked well. The only brand I have come to trust is DR strings, I have been using them since I was 14 and that was 10 years ago. I would occasionally try to try different strings but none of them held and stayed as good and solid as DR has for me. If you could make your strings more like DR’s then I would consider trying D’Addario strings again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 147091256540130/k2311a097/9.7.10