Syd Field’s Screenwriting Workshop Win/Mac DVD Software
  • Next I thought it might be more beneficial to actually take part in a screen writing workshop
  • Here the viewer can experience the same course Field has taught to professionals all over the world and benefit from his more than 25 years experience
  • The format not only breaks it down step-by-step to create more manageable pieces, but I like that it also develops in such a manner so as to allow busy writers to work screenwriting into already tight schedules
  • I have to say I really enjoyed this workshop
  • I found it be just what I was looking for and hope it helps guide countless others

• by Jude244

After finishing several books on screenwriting, I seemed to have more questions and doubts as to how to construct a screenplay than when I started. Perhaps it was naïve of me to think that I would come across the one book that would connect the dots and create a template to conquer the big screen, but one can dream right?

Next I thought it might be more beneficial to actually take part in a screen writing workshop. As there were none in my immediate area, I settled for the next best thing, a DVD from Syd Field’s Screenwriting Workshop learning series.

In How to Write A Screenplay That Sells To Hollywood, Field manages to condense the somewhat unwieldy subject of screenwriting into a comprehensive yet systematic two hour instructional video. Here the viewer can experience the same course Field has taught to professionals all over the world and benefit from his more than 25 years experience. Ideally this course takes the

writer from the inception of the idea to the completed screenplay.

First off, the format of the DVD appealed to me. Once you enter the main menu, you are given four options plus a general introduction. From here I could choose from part one- Getting Started, part two-Creating Character, Part three-Writing the Screenplay, or Part four- Rewriting the Screenplay. The format not only breaks it down step-by-step to create more manageable pieces, but I like that it also develops in such a manner so as to allow busy writers to work screenwriting into already tight schedules.

According to Field it is best to view the course in it’s entirety to be familiar with the concepts, and then go back to its respective segments to complete the class exercises. In part one, for example, Field discusses the Idea, Action & Character, and also Structure. This segment’s exercise will allow you to develop a four page narrative treatment of the story

Part two allows ...

• you to develop characters. Here we learn how to create the character, isolate their dramatic need and also plot their actions. We also address character arcs, and functional dialogue.

In part three you write the actual screenplay by preparing, setting up, and structuring Acts 1 through 3. Here we have our first glimpse at our words on paper rough draft. Finally in the last part, rewrites are covered to tighten and polish the script.

If you are familiar with Field’s books you are probably aware that he uses several popular films to demonstrate certain aspects of film structure. Here too he uses three of his personal favorites such as Thelma and Louise, The Shawshank Redemption, and Titanic. If you do decide to try this workshop, it is highly recommended that you see these three movies beforehand.

I have to say I really enjoyed this workshop. I had read two of Field’s books prior to purchasing the instructional DVD, and this

program not only helped to solidify key concepts of his method, but also allowed me to set a manageable pace for writing. Somehow 120 blank pages aren’t nearly as daunting when you have workshop exercises paving the way. Using Field’s method, I have just completed the outline of my First Act, and hope to complete my screenplay before the New Year.

If you are a writer in search of structure and organization, or just want to help create a more marketable script; you may find this instructional DVD right up your ally. It not only condenses hundreds of pages of reading into a thorough 2 hour program, but it is formatted to allow you to develop the script at your own pace. Currently you can find this WIN/MAC DVD on Amazon for as little as 11.99 USD from several of their private merchants. I found it be just what I was looking for and hope it helps guide countless others.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 505091255890830/k2311a095/9.5.10