Persons Unknown (NBC mini-series drama)  » TV  »
1.0
  • My roommate and I started watching this show when it first premiered as it seemed like it had an interesting premise
  • After watching a few episodes, my roommate and I found that while the show wasn't particularly good, it was intriguing enough to keep going

• by David Finniss

My roommate and I started watching this show when it first premiered as it seemed like it had an interesting premise. A group of random people have been drugged, kidnapped, and dropped off in an abandoned town which they can’t escape. There are cameras monitoring their every move and someone is putting them through the ringer and waging psychological warfare on them, in an attempt to get them to turn on each other.

I try not to be too harsh on first seasons as they tend to be relatively weak. Even if a show starts off strong, by the later seasons it still pales in comparison. This differed in that it was only a 13 episode mini-series, so the full story would be told here.

I liked the idea. It’s like anime in that a story is told in a few

episodes and is then finished over the course of the season. It forced the writers to focus on minimized the possibility of padding.

After watching a few episodes, my roommate and I found that while the show wasn’t particularly good, it was intriguing enough to keep going. We had nary a clue as to what was happening, but like “Lost” (albeit to a lesser extent) we had to find out what was going to happen next.

I eventually took a long trip back home to take care of my parents’ dog and missed several episodes. I got back in time for the series finale, and boy was it a stinker.

The writing in the early episodes was passable, but the finale was downright terrible. The dialogue was forced and stilted, there wasn’t much in the way of suspense, the plot twists were predictable,

• and even worse is that there was zero character growth. After missing half the series, the characters were exactly the same as they were when I left. This fact was made even worse by the fact that all the characters talk about how changed they are.

The “Lost” finale had its faults, but at least it wrapped a lot of things up. By the end of “Persons Unknown” we still know nothing. Why was any of this done? How are there cameras everywhere, even in the desert? Why these people?

It’s funny, as a writer I’m constantly told how tough it is and how you have to be persistent and not expect to make a living. I get that there’s a lot of competition, but it seems like the worst stuff is what’s making it to the top, and

this is just another example. Seltzer and Friedberg keep making movies, Tyler Perry keeps getting new shows, and the same goes for Seth McFarlane, who I’ve turned on pretty hard as of late.

This show’s bad. I could see what it was trying to do, and with a better writer it could’ve been awesome, but they dropped the ball hard. Even if there is a second season, my roommate (who stuck through it for the duration) said he won’t be tuning in as he doesn’t even care anymore.

My other roommate felt robbed having only watched the two hour finale, but in the end, we all felt like time was stolen from us as we put time into this that could’ve been spent on other, better shows. My advice is to stay away as it really isn’t worth the time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 103091255291230/k2311a093/9.3.10