Skyline Drive in Virginia  » Travel  »
  • We paid $10 and that is the cost no matter how many people are in the car
  • This is a trip that adults enjoy but kids would find a bit boring

• by Dawn Hawkins

Driving along the mountains in Skyline Drive in Virginia is one of the most breathtaking places I have ever been. Skyline Drive is in the Shenandoah National Park. We drove in one side and out the other. We stopped at nearly every stopping point to see the different views and it was well worth the drive. We paid $10 and that is the cost no matter how many people are in the car. The pass is good for the next six days plus the day you go in. The car has to have the same number of people in it.

We took some drinks and snacks in

a cooler. That was one of the smartest things that we could have done. We spent hours in the park and there are very few places to stop for food and drinks. We did stop at the top of the mountain at a little store that looked like a log cabin. It was a nice little store that sold such things as ice cream and sodas.

We saw several animals crossing the roads along the way including families of deer. We stopped to let them cross each time, but we had to be especially careful while we were coming back down the mountain because it is ...

• much harder to stop for crossing animals. The trip that we took was on a perfectly clear day. We could see for miles across the mountain and into the valleys. Skyline Drive is part of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We didn’t go hiking or camping there, but that is a possibility. I would suggest that you research the rules and regulations of the park before you attempt to do any hiking or camping. There are rules for your safety that you should follow carefully.

I would love to go back to Skyline Drive in the Shenandoah Valley. It wasn’t an expensive trip by any means and the

drive was so peaceful. We were able to capture a lot of beautiful pictures along the way including one of me close to a cliff. That is quite a feat considering I am scared to death of heights. We didn’t take any of the kids with us on this trip and that was probably best. This is a trip that adults enjoy but kids would find a bit boring. I would love to take a tour through on a motorcycle at some time in my life. I loved the view and would love the feeling of seeing it again. If you are in the Shenandoah Skyline Drive area.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383091255071230/k2311a093/9.3.10