Arlington National Cemetary in Virginia  » Travel  »
  • I love to visit this cemetery for several reasons
  • I make a point to visit this site each time I visit the cemetery because watching how the soldier marches back and forth in front of the tomb is amazing
  • I thought that was a very touching tribute to them
  • My suggestion would be to go as early as possible
  • I think that everyone should take a trip to this cemetery because you should pay tribute to these heroes

• by Dawn Hawkins

Arlington National cemetery is a cemetery for military members and their families. There are people from every war the United States has ever seen in this cemetery. I don’t want to forget to mention that presidents have been buried there as well. I love to visit this cemetery for several reasons. First of all, I feel I am paying tribute to all soldiers who have laid their lives on the line for my freedom. I also enjoy the history of the cemetery itself. I am always amazed at the number of Civil War soldiers buried there.

One of the attractions of the cemetery is the tomb of the unknown soldier. It is where soldiers who could not be identified lie in rest. The tomb of the unknown soldier is guarded twenty four hours a day, seven days a week with no breaks including Christmas. The soldiers that guard the tomb must go through a rigorous training program and pass in

order to have this honor. I make a point to visit this site each time I visit the cemetery because watching how the soldier marches back and forth in front of the tomb is amazing. I can’t imagine having that much discipline for that long of a period of time.

One attraction that many people tend to look for at Arlington Cemetery is the grave of President John F. Kennedy. There is an eternal flame burning there and his stillborn son is buried there as well. His wife Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis is now buried there as well. The president and his wife probably receive more visitors each year than any other grave site. When I got there, I began to also look for Robert Kennedy’s grave. He was the brother of the president and was assassinated during his campaign for president. We had a difficult time finding that grave at first. We peeked around some bushes that surrounds the President and ...

• his wife’s grave and there it was. It was such a simple head stone with no bells and no whistles. That’s the way that he would have wanted it. I feel the need to go back and visit again. I haven’t been to the gravesite of Senator Ted Kennedy yet. I have a special place in my heart for the Kennedy family and their place in history.

There are some wonderful sites at this cemetery. There is a tribute to the astronauts that were killed in the space shuttle which happened when my daughter was just a baby. I thought that was a very touching tribute to them. This is a huge cemetery and it is free to enter. My suggestion would be to go as early as possible. Going later in the day probably won’t give you enough time to walk through the cemetery to see everything that you want to see. You will be amazed at how beautiful and

peaceful it is.

There are strict rules at the cemetery though. When it is time to close, they mean it is time to close. If you don’t realize it is time to close, they will come chase you out and tell you that your car will be locked behind the gates if you aren’t out in time. I don’t know if that is actually true or not, but I really didn’t want to take the chance. They do not allow picnicking in the park and they urge you to behave properly in the cemetery. That was no problem for us when we went. We very much enjoyed our walk through the cemetery and I plan to go again sometime in the future. It is a wonderful tribute to fallen soldiers as well as those who served the country without dying in battle. I think that everyone should take a trip to this cemetery because you should pay tribute to these heroes.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383091254971230/k2311a093/9.3.10