Luray Caverns in Luray. Virginia  » Travel  »
  • The different stalagmites and stalactites' (rocks) had changed colors and a bit in shape, but it is still amazing to me that nature can make such amazing art inside a mountain
  • I am glad that I thought to take my sweater when we went in even though it was very hot outside
  • The cost of touring the cavern is $23 dollars for adults
  • This is definitely a great part of our trip through Virginia

• by Dawn Hawkins

Luray Caverns in Luray, Virginia is one of my favorite places to visit. It is just as the name states. This is a walk through cavern that I visited as a child and then again as an adult. The cavern changed a lot over the years in some respects. The different stalagmites and stalactites’ (rocks) had changed colors and a bit in shape, but it is still amazing to me that nature can make such amazing art inside a mountain.

Luray Caverns is one of the largest caverns that I have ever been through. I didn’t realize, until we entered the cavern, that this is what the

inside of a mountain would look like. It just never occurred to me. I am glad that I thought to take my sweater when we went in even though it was very hot outside. It is cold in the caverns so don’t forget to have a long sleeved, warm sweater or jacket with you when you go. The cost of touring the cavern is $23 dollars for adults. We had no children with us when we went but the cost for children 6-12 are $11 each and children under 6 get in for free. There is also a senior citizen price of $21.

Luray Caverns is ...

• a National Historic area. I didn’t mind the fact that we couldn’t touch anything. Doing so is actually a federal crime and you will be prosecuted for it if you are caught doing so. We didn’t have to worry about keeping children from touching it, but if you take children, you have to be sure that you instruct them on this rule. It is a great family trip. I loved going to Luray Caverns when I was a child. One of my favorite parts of this attraction is the organ. There is one area of the caverns that has an organ in it. The pipers are
        made from the natural rocks that are hanging from the ceiling. We were forturnate enough to hear that beautiful sound that came from the organ because there happened to be an organist on duty the day that we went.

This is definitely a great part of our trip through Virginia. The price is a little steep considering the number of people that travel through Luray Caverns each year, but it is worth walking through at least once in your life. I may never go back there again, but that is only because there are so many other places around the United States that I want to see.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383091254951230/k2311a093/9.3.10