Elk Neck State Park, North East MD
  • Aside from the swimming, I love going hiking in the park
  • There are some days that I enjoy taking a walk out to the lighthouse at Turkey Point
  • I prefer to go during the week when there are far fewer people there

• by Dawn Hawkins

Elk Neck State Park is in the North East, Maryland area. It has been one of my favorite local places to visit every year. There are several different areas of the park that allows you to do different things. There is a beach area that is great for kids. I used to take my kids there several times a year to go swimming. They loved playing on the playground equipment there as a little break from swimming. The picnic area is next to the playground equipment, so the kids could just eat their lunch and play for a while to let the food settle before

getting back in the water.

There isn’t anyone in the booth as you enter the park. There is a box for the honor system to leave a donation to help keep the park going. We generally leave as much money as we can when we have it and at other times when we are a little low, we haven’t paid anything to get in. A few dollars is generally enough to enter the park and enjoy everything that it has to offer. Aside from the swimming, I love going hiking in the park. There are some beautiful wooded areas and it is also a great ...

• place for a family reunion.

There are some days that I enjoy taking a walk out to the lighthouse at Turkey Point. Turkey Point is part of the park but at the very end of the park. It is a trail in the woods that leads back to an old lighthouse. The lighthouse is open during the weekend if you wish to go into it. I have never gone on a weekend because it is very crowded on those days. I prefer to go during the week when there are far fewer people there. There are cliffs with gorgeous views of the canal and I

love that when you look across the water, you are looking at an entirely different county.

Since I live in the area, I have no need to go camping at Elk Neck State Park, but you can camp down there and it is a great way to spend time with the kids. You can also launch your boat from the boat ramps at the park. I have a great time at Elk Neck State Park every time I go. It is a very large park so it is very easy to get lost in it. That’s the whole point of going to a park though, isn’t it?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383091254941230/k2311a093/9.3.10