Percy Jackson and the Olympians- The Lightening Thief movie 2009  » Movies  »
2.5
  • The acting was fine, and the building of the main characters was thorough enough, but there was something slightly boring about Percy to me
  • I thought the film had a “rushed” nature to it, and that the action took precedence over the story building
  • I think someone needed to tell the writers to slow down and think about what the characters were saying
  • I thought the actress paying Percy’s mother was interesting
  • I like to see someone out of the ordinary mold playing a part in an epic story

• by reviewabit

I thought this movie was fun. The stories are a clever roundabout way to teach kids (and adults) about mythology, although some elements were altered a bit, if my memory is correct. Since it was from the director of the Harry Potter films, I had expected a little bit “bigger’ of an event than what it was.

The acting was fine, and the building of the main characters was thorough enough, but there was something slightly boring about Percy to me. In early

scenes they hinted at his having an innate ability which was known to him before any of the “action” started and he found out who he was… but this could have been used to bring us closer to him than it did.

I thought the film had a “rushed” nature to it, and that the action took precedence over the story building. The special effects were good, about what is expected by today’s standards, but they were not what I would call memorable if compared ...

• to other films of the same type.

Sometimes the humor got a bit annoying, especially when there were so many instances where it seemed timelines and ages were “mixed” without explanation or acknowledgment. I think someone needed to tell the writers to slow down and think about what the characters were saying.

Did it make sense? It didn’t in some cases. There were tons of unanswered questions and things that you would expect someone in the story to acknowledge– but they didn’t bat an eye.

I thought the actress paying Percy’s mother was interesting. I like to see someone out of the ordinary mold playing a part in an epic story.

It just makes it more real for me. Uma Thurmon was an odd choice for playing Medusa, I thought, but she pulled it off.

If this movie had just been a little more in-depth, and a little less templated, it could have been a really good film. As it stands, I was a little let down and expected more.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113091254351130/k2311a093/9.3.10