Rhythm and Blues Revue movie  » Movies  »
  • However, it is a lot of fun, with a full roster of African American performers
  • He's new to me, too, but he was comfortable hosting this revue, and he was funny, too

• by Orrymain

Rhythm and Blues Revue labeled with a 1955 release is really just a bunch of performances down like a night club show. There’s no story plot; there’s only the show. However, it is a lot of fun, with a full roster of African American performers.

Below are a few thoughts on the show and some of the performances:

–I didn’t like “Every Day” as performed by Faye Adams. Her voice

just surprised me with how deep it went, and I didn’t enjoy it one bit. I don’t really know who she is, so I was completely caught off guard.

–Herb Jeffries was great. He did a song called “In My Heart (There’s a Song)” which was powerful and so darn good. I loved his style. He’s another person I haven’t heard of before, but I’d like to see ...

• more of these movies, well, revues really, with him in it.

–Sarah Vaughan was surprising good to listen to. I’ve never really been a fan, but she was really in her element here, and I was entertained.

–Oh, boy, did I love this performance by the great Nat ‘King’ Cole. He sang a tune called “Calypso Blues” that was alluring and just captivated me. He didn’t sit behind the piano

this time, but rather, simply sat and sang wearing casual attire while someone else accompanied him on the conga drum. It was terrific.

–Leonard Reed was apparently a fast talking comedian, and surprise, I thought he was pretty darn good in his segments, including those the master of ceremonies, Willie Bryant. He’s new to me, too, but he was comfortable hosting this revue, and he was funny, too.

This is a good show.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112091252320430/k2311a092/9.2.10